Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Lotions and potions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lotions and potions

I've noticed M has got some dry skin in and around her armpits, a bit on her belly (where her diaper rubs against her), and on her feet. Am I supposed to moisturize this girl? Leave her alone? Dh and I are the fussiest first-time parents you'll ever come across. We were saying that if we looked at ourselves from someone else's perspective, we would hate us!

TIA.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Aquafor or the Walgreens equivalent.

Comment

I found that the Johnson's lotions smell great but moisturize nothing. They just apply a layer of slime.

I liked the Mustela lotions. They're expensive but I like the no rinse wash stuff and all of the baby lotions. A little goes a long way, too.

Jenn

Comment

Remember, she just got out of a 9 month long bath. Your skin would be sucked a bit dry too! She's sloughing a layer of skin, it'll slow down soon. I like really simple baby care, I wash my babies with plain water except for the dirtiest bits and moisturize with vegetable oils -- apricot, jojoba, and coconut are some of my favorites. If you like something with a bit of baby perfume (DH loves babies that smell like baby scented product!) Burt's Bees lotion or baby oil are nice too. It's fun to give baby an all-over massage while rubbing in the lotion or oil, and it's good for them too.
        Alison

Comment

We do very little moisturizing of our newborns but when it is absolutely necessary Aquaphor is the best. We also do not bath baby very often, wash hair when it looks greasy, top and tail, and that is it (babies don't get very dirty).
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

We also do very little but used the Aquaphor which is what our ped recommended.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
              Dh and I are the fussiest first-time parents you'll ever come across. We were saying that if we looked at ourselves from someone else's perspective, we would hate us!

TIA.
              Aww, I think this is how most parents are with their little bubs!
              We just want what is absolutely best

Comment

We do the aquaphor as well. I wouldn't put it on her face. If she gets those baby bumps all over her face, leave them alone, just know that they will go away with time.

Comment

Thank you for all your replies. My daughter LOVES being wet -- she has loved the two sponge baths she's gotten so far and when you wash/wipe her face, she just takes it all in. She's going to go nuts when she finally gets to take a real bath.

She loves to have her diaper changed and feel the cool wipe against her bottom. It's really bizarre.

I'll stop obsessing about her skin, and just let her be. My mom doesn't think it's any cause for concern, so I'll just do what we've been doing.

Thanks!
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Very cute that she loves water! My daughter is the same. Bath time will be so much fun for you guys!
                    Regarding lotions, less is more for me too. I use only water most of the time, and an edible oil or organic baby lotion (so she gets that baby-scent smell ) every now and then. The newborn flakiness will go away on its own and I don't think it bothers them (like it's not itchy).

Also, a friend recommended topical breast milk for baby acne (I know you didn't ask about this but since you sound like me, I'm sure you'll be wondering about this in a few week's time when the baby acne might emerge). I never tried it since my daughter's acne was gone by then but my friend swears that it works!

Comment

Working...
                    X