Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

BTDT Moms and Dads. # of Doctor Visits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTDT Moms and Dads. # of Doctor Visits?

I'm trying to guess how many pediatric office visits I might have next year with the baby for the purposes of contributing to my flex spending account. Taxes in N.C. are really high compared to what I paid in Texas. Our flex spending account is saving me serious mula these days!

Anyways... assuming she is totally healthy at birth... I'm counting 9 well baby appointments (according to Dr. Google.com) for the first 12 months. I'm looking forward to being a SAHM, but do plan to take advantage of play groups and loads of out-of-the-house time. How often can I guess I'll be taking her to the doctor the first year? How often did your little one go into the doctor's office for little illnesses etc?
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

I'm thinking around 8 to 10 visits in the first year.

ETA: Our first went to the doctor a lot because she had chronic ear infections, the others did not go in near as often. Plus, since dh can check their ears for infection that cuts down on a lot of unnecessary visits.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I would figure about 2-3 non-wellness visits in the first year. Unless you or your hubby has a history of ear infections, or some other infant problem. Daegan had an episode of V+D before a year old that brought me in, and Kai had the sprained ankle. I'm not one to bring them to the doctor for a cold though either. So unless they can't breath or the 103+ fever doesn't come down with meds, I don't go in. (Hasn't happened here so far.)
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Eddy has had one sick baby visit in nearly 3 years (an ear infection at 16 months). Natalie has had none in 7+ months. They had 3 day, 7 day, 2 week, 1 month, 2 month, 3 month, 4 month, 6 month well baby checks. There are no shots at 9 months (my previous ped just liked to see them for weight and anemia checks) so Natalie will likely skip that one and just have a 12 month visit.
        Alison

Comment

Yup, looks like 9 visits in the first year for us. There are nine little dots on her growth chart up to twelve months.

We've never needed to go to the ped except for well-baby visits. (Knock on wood.)
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I"m almost afraid to say that we've only had one sick visit between the two kids, to date. But, we did buy more Tylenol and Ibuprofen (DS had a few ear infections and we're in the treat for pain camp), as well as a humidifier, and I think I got reimbursed for diaper rash cream and nipple cream. So, if you round up a little, you can probably spend it out on non-visit items fairly easily.
            -Deb
            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I think 9 visits sounds about right for us too, A has only had one sick child visit and she was well over 1 when that happened but we're generally a healthy family. DH & I RARELY get sick and she is not a childcare child - I don't remember if you're staying home but if you're sending them to daycare I would add a few extra.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I think 9 is correct. We have divided up Evelyn's shots and have been going more often because of that.
                Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
                Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

With our last insurance and our current, there was/is no co-pay for well baby visits. We have never needed a flex spending account for medical bills. Until now, but that is because of my funky teeth which my daughters have inherited.
                  Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Working...
                  X