Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Babies and sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babies and sun

My mil insists that it's good for babies to get some direct sunlight. I told her that M is too young for sun block and I prefer it if she doesn't sit in the sun at all. So of course, in order to keep the peace, my dh tells me that "a little sun isn't going to hurt." I told him to shove it, and make dam* sure M doesn't get any sun.

So, my question to you is whether my instinct to go mama bear on everyone is well founded. M does not need a tan!!!
    married to an anesthesia attending

That baby skin is so new and fresh it burns very easily. You'd want to jump off a cliff if she got a sunburn at this age. I'm really sorry your DH is trying to play this in the middle. IMO it wouldn't even be a close call. Keep that baby out of the CA sun!
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

She does not need sun. She's getting all the vitamin D she needs from your milk or formula (and if you're exclusively nursing your ped will probably suggest vitamin D supplements).

Comment

You get sun through windows, walking across parking lot, etc. It isn't like she is being raised in a cave. I have Vitamin D drops, and I give my little one those (when I remember).
        Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

When we were in Davis, Jasen's ped told us to give him 15 minutes of sun light, not direct sunlight (through a window, riding in the stroller, in a carrier), a day in order for him to get enough vitamin D. Otherwise to do the drops. I hated those drops, they smell and stain. He was breastfeed for a LONG time... 2.5 years..... You obviously don't want to bake the kid, but vitamin D supplements have been mentioned by both of our peds in MO and KS when the other two were babies (and I was exclusively nursing) because of the lack of sunshine and vitamin D.

Comment

You're spot on - they're to young for sunscreen until they're at least 6 months old and she is getting sun when you're on walks, etc. She'll be fine - stick with your gut!
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane View Post
              She does not need sun. She's getting all the vitamin D she needs from your milk or formula (and if you're exclusively nursing your ped will probably suggest vitamin D supplements).
              Ditto!!!!
              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

The baby is getting plenty of sun here in California. Mostly indirect sunlight or we stand on the balcony with her hat on and I show her stuff. I didn't make a big deal out of it for two reasons. 1) it was never for very long 2) I don't have the energy to fight it!

Thank you for your insights.

While I'm at it, what sunblock do you recommend for babies? Which do you like?

Comment

You should hold off on sunscreen until she is closer to 6 months. I really like the Kiss My Face spray on stuff. It is a physical block (zinc and titanium dioxides and one other) instead of a chemical block and it doesn't have any scent or anything annoying. Vanicream is nice and plain too but I don't think it rubs in as well and leaves more white streaking. I think people like the California Baby as well, IIRC, it is pricey.

Comment

Thanks! I know about the 6-month thing, that's why I want to avoid direct sunlight as much as possible right now!

The funny thing is that I don't think I take care of my own skin nearly as well as M's!

Comment

that is completely a European thing. When we were in Russia, they'd bundle up the babies in the strollers and leave them outside in the sun for a bit. Of course, they're much further north than we are and they really don't have that much sunlight.

I think it was Kris' MIL who attempted something similar w/ one of her kids.

jenn

Comment

We use Vanicream on A, spf 60. You'd probably have to ask your pharmacist to order it though, most places don't carry it unless you live in Rochester, MN which is where it was created.
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I think we did about the same as you when DS was tiny, I was not too anal about him getting a little bit of sun here and there. It is pretty easy to minimize the sun until they get mobile. I agree that it is a European thing to actually put baby in the sun, but tell MIL that European sun is not the same as CA sun!!

For sunscreen we use Neutrogena baby or California baby. I don't like to use the ones with chemicals that can absorb through the skin. This site has great info in sunscreen effectiveness and safety: http://www.ewg.org/whichsunscreensarebest/2009report

Comment

DH ordered all of the green light ones on that list. I'll have to look through them to see if there were any favorites in addition to the Kiss My Face (not green light because it sprays and you could inhale the spray so just don't put the nozzle up your nose). The downside of the physical barrier products is that they tend to leave a white residue on the skin.

Comment

?????????

Alison-

Is your MIL and FIL there with you now?? What's the update on their travel plans to the US? I thought you had said they were headed to CA around Sept 9th but can't remember... If they are there, how's it going!?!?

I’m really nervous about my out-laws... ohhhh, I mean In-Laws coming to visit after my baby comes in November.
                              Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                              "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Working...
                              X