Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What does your 2.5 year old like to eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does your 2.5 year old like to eat?

I may have my 2.5 niece staying with me for a bit...I know her parents will just say "whatever you're eating" but I want a little more strategy than that. I have a one year old that I still cook separately for a lot because we eat later than him. So maybe my question is what meals can the adults eat too that will also work for a 2.5 year old (and a 1 year old)?

Do kids this age still mostly eat with their fingers? I know she eats apple sauce with a spoon but I can't picture her holding a fork.

I'm seriously clueless.

Mine used a fork and her fingers. She just turned 3. I try mostly to feed what we are eating.

Cut up meats- hot dogs, chicken, hamburgers, rolled up slices of lunch meat, pork chops, mini pepperoni, chicken nuggets Any of this stuff can be dipped in ketchup or ranch.

sandwiches, lots of PBJ cut in 4s, mini bagels with peanut butter or cream cheese,

lots of vanilla yogurt mixed with peanut butter (she loved it at all meals), cut up string cheese, cottage cheese,

breakfast- dry cereal, oatmeal, scrambled eggs with cheese, frozen waffles sliced in strips to dip in syrup, pancakes

veggies- green beans, corn, etc

Lots of cut-up fruit

Hope that helps. She also has two older sister so she picked up using utensils early.
    Needs

Comment

That is helpful, thanks!

Comment

Mine eats chicken nuggets, crayons, turkey dogs, paper, fish sticks, play doh, popcorn, tortilla chips, shoes, cheerios, frosted mini-wheats, etc.
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
          Mine eats chicken nuggets, crayons, turkey dogs, paper, fish sticks, play doh, popcorn, tortilla chips, shoes, cheerios, frosted mini-wheats, etc.

You crack me up! (But I know you are being completely honest)
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Just be wary of the caffine and sugar unless you are cool with her running around like a maniac

Comment

My 22 month old eats with a fork (a kid's fork or a salad fork). He does fine. Mostly, he eats yogurt, chicken (dipped in ranch if he won't eat it), fruit like crazy, veggies of whatever kind we're having, string cheese, pancakes, eggs for any meal, sweet potatoes - I micro them and scoop some out for him, dry cereal, oatmeal, ice cream, etc. Basically, I do feed my kids whatever we eat, but yogurt is the standby for when they won't touch it. I would ask if there is a go-to, no-fail food. I think most kids have something that they'll rarely turn down.
              -Deb
              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                You crack me up! (But I know you are being completely honest)
                He also uses the fork or spoon as a means to fling food. Yes, everything is a toy/game to him.
                Veronica
                Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

mac & cheese
                  chicken nuggets
                  broccoli
                  eggs
                  pancakes
                  sausage
                  salisbury steak
                  fries
                  crackers

Comment

Don't forget spaghetti!
                    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post

Thank you all, these suggestions are great. I am feeling a little less unprepared.

Comment

Mine eats no meat except chicken nuggets (I get the fake soy Chik'n nuggets) and hot dogs. When he was 2.5 he ate finger foods- I cut the hot dogs into microscopic bites because I'm a freak about choking.

Canteloupe, apple slices (no peel because he's spoiled), pear slices (same thing), strawberries, pineapple, etc.

He has always loved mini bagels with cream cheese- strawberry usually. Oatmeal w/ raisins and brown sugar has always been a hit. All of the cereal- kix, cheerios, rice chex. In fact, for 'cocktail hour' my dad makes the boys a mix of all of the above cereals, plus goldfish, raisins and mini pretzels.

Jenn

(of course, my freaky child loves brie and blue cheese, rye crackers, pumpernickel, liverwurst and pickled beets- but I blame his first 13 months in Russia for that!)

Comment

Working...
                        X