Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

It's a sign!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a sign!

The last couple of weeks I had been feeling a little stress that it seemed like our baby wasn't developing as fast as his "peers". He is eleven months old and actually doing great, but I'm a first time mom and I was getting a little over zealous! Particularly stressful to me was the fact that he hadn't yet figured out how to clap or wave goodbye as his baby friends around his age are all doing that.

So the other day he walked from me to the couch and I started clapping for him and singing a "clap your hands" song from the reading time that we go to. I left the room for a minute but was still singing the song and came in to see him sitting on the floor ever so concentrated on his two tiny hands as they came together in clapping motion over and over. It was a truly wonderful moment and actually made me tear up.

It helped me to realize that he is soaking it all in and he is learning, I just need to be patient and let him try things on his own time table.

Yeay! That is so neat to see that progress!
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I have 4, and I can tell you they all learn at varying rates and in their own time!

Way to go little clapper!!

Comment

I know it's really hard, but try not to compare. DD (our first) didn't walk until 17 months, which is really late, and I was so worried, but talked like crazy (we thought). She does talk a lot, but wasn't really advanced in what she was saying. DH was so convinced that she was brilliant...until we had DS. He started counting to 15 when he was 21 months old. He's now 2, and we think he's reading words. And I can tell you, DH realizes now that DD is probably average, and we are happy with that. DS is a handful!!!

My Grandma had five kids. No matter what my parents worried about as we were growing up, she would tell my mom that we would do it (or not do it in the case of things like wearing diapers and using pacifiers) when we went to Kindergarten. For the most part, she was right!
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

You are all right! I try hard not to compare but sometimes I let it get to me. I think the clapping was a gift because it assured me that he will learn, so hopefully I can relax a bit more now.

Comment

How cool that you were there to catch the moment!
            Attorney, wife to EM attending, mom to two girls (ages 5 and 2)

Comment

They all go at their own pace. It is hard not to compare them, but the odd are that your little one is working frantically on another (not so visible) skill. It's funny because they really can only do one thing at a time. Either they work on something physical, clapping, standing, walking. Or they work on something more intellectual, puzzles, talking, etc.
              Kris

Comment

awww!! I love those little moments. Enjoy every stage, and trust that there's a WHOLE lot more going on inside their heads than we usually see proof of, !

Comment

Working...
                X