Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Expensive formula- WWYD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expensive formula- WWYD?

I think this is the first time I've mentioned this, but DD has some sort of cow protein allergy. The doctor has put her on Similac Alimentum (or we can use Nutramigen). In case you didn't know it's very expensive. $25-28 per 16 oz. depending on what store I buy it from. She is 5 weeks and nearly 12 pounds... lets just say her appetite is increasing each week. I'm desperate to find a cheaper way to feed her. I simply can't afford the $300-$400 per month formula bill!

At this point I have a claim request into my insurance company but won't hear anything official for another week. If you have any ideas or suggestions I'm all ears!

While I'm waiting on the insurance company I've discovered the same formula sold on EBay.com for half the price. Some sellers even have free shipping. What would you do here? Go for it? Or stop thinking such crazy talk?

TIA!
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Since your dh's hospital has such a sweet diaper deal, why don't you check with them to see if they offer something similar for formula? I don't think I'd buy formula on ebay, but you could do the amazon subscribe and save, which would get your 15% off. Another option (if it's not available there) is diapers.com, which is 1% back on ebates -- not great, but not nothing, either.

Comment

Amazon doesn't seem to have formula on their subscribe+save; they just seem to sell through abcbabyformula, at $125 shipped for a 6pack of 16oz cans of powder.

If you go directly to abcbabyformula.com, though, they have both of those on sale for $115 for 6 16oz powder containers, free shipping for all orders over $100. That brings it to under $20/container, at least...
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Try diapers.com and have them match any online deal you can find. You'll get free one-day shipping, too!
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

My friend often finds the enfamil coupons online ($5 off a can) and sends the link to friends and we print out the coupons for her to use. I also think you can sign up for coupons/samples on the enfamil website.

Sorry I don't have any better advice.... how stressful that your precious baby's nutrition is so expensive!
          Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Can you alternate it with the Soy Based formula?? It is a lot cheaper, they also offer that in generic form. Another thing that might save you a little is signing up with Similac at Similac.com. They usually give samples, I am not sure about that type but they also mail out $5 coupons.

Comment

I am sorry, but I don't remember how many kids you have for sure, but have you checked into WIC? Depending on how many kids you have and what your husband makes for residency, you may qualify.
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Friends of ours became unemployed last spring. Their baby was on a similar formula, except by Enfamil and couldn't afford the cost. DH was able to contact the drug rep who suggested that DH could sign up on their website as a health care provider and get the formula at a discount. That is what we did.
                Needs

Comment

You might try asking your doctor if he/she has any coupons or discount cards for the formula. We actually got some sent to us free, through the sales rep.

Long time ago, though, maybe they don't do that any more. Worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
                    I am sorry, but I don't remember how many kids you have for sure, but have you checked into WIC? Depending on how many kids you have and what your husband makes for residency, you may qualify.
                    This is our first baby. DH, the baby social worker (at the hospital), and I looked into WIC because we are living on his salary alone. The $300+ formula cost is a serious "issue" for us. Can you believe in N.C. I need 3+ kids to qualify for WIC? You'd think there would be some sort of exception for people who are on the expensive stuff... no dice. BTW, Is it just me, or is this social worker crapy? She didn't have any ideas- not a thing.
                    Last edited by moonlight; 12-16-2009, 11:48 PM.
                    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Is it an actual allergy or sensitivity? Dd has lactose sensitivity, and we feed her Similac Sensitive. My bil (a pediatrician) suggested for dd to drink the sensitive one (vs. soy), because the soy may cause her to have issues with soy products later on. Plus, the soy really smells terrible!

If it isn't clearly an allergy, then I would ask if Similac Sensitive would be alright.

Comment

Also, Target was having a sale on Similac when I was there last week. I should have thought to tell you this... My powder usually runs around $28/container, but was reduced to $21. Also, if you bought 2, you'd get a $5 Target gift card. You could try calling them to see if they still have this deal going on. I'm SO sorry I didn't think of this earlier. I hope they still have this similac deal.

Comment

My oldest DD had to have Nutramigen and I remember being broke buying that expensive formula!!! The pediatrician obviously felt bad for us because everytime we'd go in for a visit she'd send us home with at least 4 cans that she'd get from the drug rep. She was a godsend!!! Maybe your ped could do something similar if you asked? Of course this was 8+ years ago and I know the drug rep times have changed....

I agree with what everyone else has said about the coupons. Go onto the website and sign up friends and family members and they'll get coupons and samples in the mail that they can pass onto you.

Good luck, I hope you're able to find a solution that works for you. I feel your pain!
                          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Nutramigen

Good morning!

My son was on Nutramigen from 6 months to 10 months. It is very expensive. I don't think that buying it on ebay is that bad but you need to make sure that its sealed and that the expiration date is good. I sold my left overs.

On another note, go see an allergist!! Seriously! If we had went to a pediatric allergist before 10 months, we could have saved a TON of money. We origionally tried soy formula but were told by the pediatrician that if a baby has problems with cow's milk, they will have the same problem with the soy. This is NOT true! The allergist told us to immediately switch to soy. SOOOO cheap!!! Meijer brand soy formula was like $13 for a giant can! I really recommend seeing a pediatric allergist and having your baby tested for soy allergy. My son tested positive for milk, egg, peanut, treenut, and cats. If you have any baby allergy questions, I'm more than willing to answer. ladybuglacy@yahoo.com

Lacy

Comment

one more thing!!

I forgot to mention that the pediatric allergist said that Nutramigen should not be used to babies that are allergic to milk and not soy. This is because Nutramigen is still made from milk. Its broken down better, so that its tolerated but it does not prevent the antiboties for milk from building up.

Comment

Working...
                              X