Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Overnight call every 4 days...new mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight call every 4 days...new mom

Hello- I am a proud mama of a 5 month old little boy. This month my husband (3rd year resident) is on overnight call every four days...yes I am glad he only has 3 more to go!
    It has been an adjustment being a mom during these very intense on call months...I find myself relying a lot on friends and family.
    Now that my husband is about to finish up his residency program I think I am starting to get the hang of it.
    I wish that when he first started his residency program there would have been some kind of a seminar for spouses. It would have been nice to have someone break it all down for us...about what we could expect with each rotation, how to get into a routine, ect.
    I wish I could start something like this for future spouses getting ready to begin this journey.

Some of my fondest memories of DH in residency/med school was when he was on overnight call. The kids and I would always go to the hospital and have dinner with him. It was a really nice time, fun for the kids. Sometimes, he'd have free meal tickets and treat us to dinner! Woo hoo!

Comment

Originally posted by melfitz View Post
      Some of my fondest memories of DH in residency/med school was when he was on overnight call. The kids and I would always go to the hospital and have dinner with him. It was a really nice time, fun for the kids. Sometimes, he'd have free meal tickets and treat us to dinner! Woo hoo!
      Me, too! Exact same memories. Food was mediocre, but it was a huge, fun treat for my son. He loved picking out exactly what he wanted at the cafeteria. And CHEAP, so cheap, with the free meal tickets!

Plus, NO DISHES!

Comment

Welcome 'ville! (Notice: I'm a Wildcat fan).

Congrats on being close to finishing this step in training.

[QUOTE]I wish that when he first started his residency program there would have been some kind of a seminar for spouses. It would have been nice to have someone break it all down for us...about what we could expect with each rotation, how to get into a routine, ect. I wish I could start something like this for future spouses getting ready to begin this journey. [QUOTE]

Just to make small talk, IMHO advice on the training experience never is as helpful as the giver seems to think it will be. The recipients are often thinks, "Why are you such a downer?"; "Come on, how hard can it be?"

In all seriousness, welcome to our humble site.

Kelly
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

A Wildcat fan? Why didn't you ever say so before! Go C-A-T-S!

To follow up with the post, did anyone on here have any sort of welcome specifically for spouses/significant others when you began residency/fellowship? My boyfriend's program has had nothing of the sort and I just thought this was something that wasn't really done.

Comment

Our program didn't have a spouse specific welcome but there is a huge spouse group here and they have a brunch to showcase all of the groups (book club, knitting, etc) that you can join.

Welcome Louisville!
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

DH & I (and Kenny since he was still nursing) went on a retreat for his program his intern year. There they told us spouses how hard it would be. Unfortunately, for me and the other mom of an infant, we were too busy sharing cheerios and veggie puffs and doing whatever we could to entertain our babies to participate in the discussion.
              Veronica
              Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Our groups was so small (maybe 18 residents total for all 3 yrs. combined) so it was informal. The wife of one of the 3rd year residents had us over for coffee several times.

Comment

My husband was on Q2 call for the first 8 days of the month and had 5 other call shifts to finish out the month when my daughter was 4 months old and going through her first major illness (hand, foot and mouth). I don't think anyone could have prepared me for that...

Comment

Working...
                  X