Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Any ideas about how to wean baby from swaddling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas about how to wean baby from swaddling?

At this rate, dd is going to need someone to custom fit her for a Swaddle Me sleeper, unless you guys have got some suggestions.

Dd used to be great with being able to take a nap on the go (didn't need to be swaddled). Now, she reaches up and pulls her binky out of her mouth. She can't fall asleep without her binky. I've been tucking her arms in at her sides while she's in her stroller, so that she can't reach up and pull her pacifier out, but inevitably, an arm pops up and out. Once she's overtired, all bets are off, and she becomes really fussy.

Any ideas for how to replicate swaddling while dd's in her stroller?

Will I really have to get her used to not being swaddled? It's the only thing that keeps me sane.
    married to an anesthesia attending

I'm no help on the weaning but they do make this swaddle blanket:

http://www.kiddopotamus.com/p_swdltrvl.php

Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Yes, we did a modified swaddle which only swaddled underneath his armpits to give him some of that secure feeling that swaddling provides. I place him with his head touching the top of the crib and his back touch the side of the crib and a (gasp) stuffed animal in front of him. It makes him feel a bit more boxed in. He is pretty mobile now so he starts out there and flops all around, but this is a good sleep cue for him.

Good luck. I hated to see swaddling end too.

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I had a friend who's son loved to be swaddled, even after he was walking. She took a regular blanket and cut it down to size...
        Kris

Comment

I'm guessing we may have to modify a Snuggie for when she goes off to college... I may need to go the route that Kris' friend went!

For dd, she doesn't mind when her legs are loose, but likes to have her arms secure.

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
            I'm guessing we may have to modify a Snuggie for when she goes off to college...
            Haha I love it! I still tuck in my hands at night when I fall asleep. I just fold the top sheet over them and kind of pull the side of the sheet underneath my arms. I guess that's my way of self-swaddling?
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Someone on here recommended Aden and Adinas swaddle blankets. I had never heard of them (and we're on baby #3). I wish I knew about them with my other kids. My first two never slept the same once they outgrew swaddling. With these blankets, I could swaddle my four year old (and we did, just to see). I'd really recommend investing in one or two and continuing to swaddle.
              -Deb
              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Laurie - I do the same exact thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                  Someone on here recommended Aden and Adinas swaddle blankets. I had never heard of them (and we're on baby #3). I wish I knew about them with my other kids. My first two never slept the same once they outgrew swaddling. With these blankets, I could swaddle my four year old (and we did, just to see). I'd really recommend investing in one or two and continuing to swaddle.
                  The swaddle blankets (Swaddle Designs) that we used before the swaddle sacks were 42"x42". I just looked, and the Aden and Anais ones are 44"x44". I wonder if the material is "stickier," because dd can get her arms out of the blankets we currently have. I wonder if the 2 extra inches help. Hmmm... I'll try anything. For the adult swaddlers who have posted, I'm guessing when she's a bit older, she'll be able to express which blankets work best for her.

Comment

Working...
                  X