Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Breastfeeding and weight loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding and weight loss

I think it's a lie. With DS, I did not experience the "weight loss" phenomena, but I did supplement formula from about 6 weeks on. This time, however, I am exclusively breastfeeding and I have not seen any evidence that nursing is helping me lose weight. Currently, I am working out 5 times a week, and doing weight watchers. I am losing weight but it is s.l.o.w. I'm not asking for a lot, I just want to fit into a pair of jeans again!!! I am not even that far away from my pre-pregnancy weight but it seems that my stomach still looks 4 months pregnant. Sigh.

What has been your experience(s) with weight loss/nursing after baby?
    Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

I think the nursing helps for about the first 4 weeks after birth but that is about it, IMHO.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Nursing has actually hindered my weight loss. If I decrease my calories at all then my milk does not have enough fat for the baby. Therefore I have to eat a lot when breastfeeding. Now that I am dieting, I only breastfeed twice a day and am supplementing. My mom always said that breastfeeding does not really help with weight loss and that you still really have to work at it.

Comment

I could be wrong but don't you lose the weight AFTER you stop breastfeeding because you need the extra calories for the breastmilk??
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I actually think nursing helped me lose the initial bulk of the pregnancy weight with both kiddos, and then a consistent exercise plan helped me lose the rest. Now, my body shape is completely different even though I weigh less than I did pre-pregnancy.
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Breastfeeding actually made me gain weight. Everytime I nursed him I became a hungry monster. Just couldn't get enough food in me. So, I ate too much and ended up gaining 10lbs. I'm still breastfeeding but I'm not getting as much insane hunger pangs so the weight is starting to go down a bit. I walk an awful lot but that's about it for exercise for me.
            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug122 View Post
              I think it's a lie. With DS, I did not experience the "weight loss" phenomena, but I did supplement formula from about 6 weeks on. This time, however, I am exclusively breastfeeding and I have not seen any evidence that nursing is helping me lose weight. Currently, I am working out 5 times a week, and doing weight watchers. I am losing weight but it is s.l.o.w. I'm not asking for a lot, I just want to fit into a pair of jeans again!!! I am not even that far away from my pre-pregnancy weight but it seems that my stomach still looks 4 months pregnant. Sigh.

What has been your experience(s) with weight loss/nursing after baby?
              IDK... All I do know is that I'm within 4-5 pounds of my pre preggo weight, but my hips and thighs have NOT gotten the message. I'm wearing two jean sizes bigger at the same exact weight before baby.

I don't look pregnant (no pouch in the front), but I seem to be wider from side to side. It's very discouraging. I guess I'll need to lose 40 more pounds to get back to my old jeans.
              Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
              "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

My experience was that bf would cause zero weight loss by itself, but would act as a little bit of an accelerant to any other weight-loss measures I would take.

Last time I stayed at my home-from-the-hospital weight until 16 weeks, when I started at the gym and it came off slowly and steadily (and slightly easier than in the past) until I was below my pre-preg weight (though still many pounds overweight).

This time at 9.5 weeks out, we started at the gym a week and a half ago, and I'm still at my post-hospital weight.

Both of those are with exclusive breastfeeding. So I say it's a slight lie.
                Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Breastfeeding (which I never did exclusively, I admit) did not seem to help at all. It was all about WORKING OUT and calorie reduction. Worked out every day (although not "marathon training, or anything close--just consistently) and eliminated pretty much every fun food--beer, desserts, etc.

But I was highly incentivized. There was no way I was going to fork over big bucks for new suits/business clothes.

All I know is that it disappointed my husband. He missed the boobs. A lot. I am pretty sure he would have traded my discomfort of a bloated belly for B-cups. And I think the first area of my bod to return to "normal" were the ta-tas.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post

All I know is that it disappointed my husband. He missed the boobs. A lot. I am pretty sure he would have traded my discomfort of a bloated belly for B-cups. And I think the first area of my bod to return to "normal" were the ta-tas.
                    My ta-tas were a 36 C/D BEFORE I got pregnant. Lets not talk about what they are now. I'm hoping they go all the way back down.

Comment

Breastfeeding DOES cause weight loss for me. However, I gain sixty to seventy pounds when I get pregnant (so maybe it's easier to take off since it's only pregnancy weight?) and I nurse over a long period of time (like as close to a year as possible for each child).

The caveat for me is that the weight loss is gradual and takes months to happen. The kids I nursed barely any amount of time (my twins - for about five months) caused the LEAST weight loss for me. After I weaned them I had to really work out a lot to get the rest of the weight off.
                      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                      With fingernails that shine like justice
                      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I'm with moonlight and GMW. I'm 7 weeks post partum and breastfeeding exclusively. I gained about 20 lbs during the pregnancy and I'm about 4 or 5 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight. My hips and ribcage are about 2" wider than they were pre-pregnancy. My breasts are about 2 cup sizes larger. Impressive but too tender to touch. So, I can *almost* fit into my pre-pregnancy fat pants if I rubber band the buttonhole and I can only fit into pre-pregnancy tops that have a lot of stretch. No way I'll fit into my jeans, suits, or jackets.
                        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisada View Post
                          My ta-tas were a 36 C/D BEFORE I got pregnant. Lets not talk about what they are now. I'm hoping they go all the way back down.
                          My sister swears that her ta-tas actually get smaller after each child (she just weaned her 4th).

As for the weight. I am still nursing Sophie 2x/day and still have 20 pounds to lose. In the last month or so, I have been exercising at least 4x/week, with no resulting weight loss. I have been watching my calories, but am ravenous from nursing and the exercising. I am hoping that the rest of the weight will start to come off once she weans. On the plus side, I am way more toned underneath all of my fluff. All of the pilates and P90x seems to be helping.
                          Kris

Comment

With both babies I have gotten down to my "default"/pre-pregnancy weight within 4-6 months with no special effort. Maybe it's breastfeeding, maybe it's just my body's physiology, I dunno.
                            Alison

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                              I'm with moonlight and GMW. I'm 7 weeks post partum and breastfeeding exclusively. I gained about 20 lbs during the pregnancy and I'm about 4 or 5 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight. My hips and ribcage are about 2" wider than they were pre-pregnancy. My breasts are about 2 cup sizes larger. Impressive but too tender to touch.
                              I BF exclusively for about 6 months. Even though I lost a lot of pounds quickly (I gained a lot at the end, so most of it was water), it was 6 months before by hips and butt got back into my pre-pregnancy jeans (Then I did a dance!). I found that it all goes back to pretty-much "normal" (I carry far more weight in my belly than I ever did before), but it takes a lot longer than you think.

Comment

Working...
                              X