Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Constipated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constipated...

Teething... And now dd's backed up. She's grunting, occasionally cries, and passes hard little turdlets.

Gahh! I need a break from all of dd's drama.

I just tried giving dd apple juice to get things moving, but from the looks of it (blinking a lot and winking her left eye), she finds it a bit sour. Do you have any suggestions for anything sweeter?
    married to an anesthesia attending

You can add caro syurp to her formula -- that always got the boys moving. Mattie doesn't much care for apple juice, but loves the cherry cider from Trader Joes. Also, chocolate soy milk (if she can do soy) is basically sugar-coated protein.

Comment

have you tried prune juice? I've never had an issue with my kiddies (they seem to have the opposite issue...) but I have a few freinds who had constipated kids and prune juice has worked for them. I have heard pear juice is good, too.
      Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Comment

the Karo syrup or any light corn syrup even with just water usually does the trick, babies usually gulp it right down!

How is she doing? Is she eating better? (and I apologize if you have updated on this and I missed it)
        Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Robert's Zantac makes him constipated so he gets 1oz water mixed with 1oz prune juice every morning. It doesn't make his stools as soft as they should be but makes them more of a pasty consistency. Hang in there!
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I've done the prune juice. It works almost too well! I found that apple adds to constipation... But pear juice is good. Also avoid bananas or other constipating foods when she's having issues. Poor little baby!
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I'm just so nervous about every single thing I feed this girl. I can't have her refusing to cup feed, so I'm trying to make sure whatever I give her today has a 100% approval rating by little babies.

I don't have the car today, so I put dd in her stroller and we walked 20 minutes to the grocery store. As I was walking, I noticed that I had rolled the stroller into a big pile of dog sh*t. It was smearing all over the stroller's storage compartment by this time...

I got to the store, and didn't feel it would be nice to knowingly go in there with sh*t caked onto my stroller. So, I had someone grab me two bottles: pear and prune.

I stopped off at our apartment complex's car wash (we don't have our own hose attached to our unit), and dd started fussing. I filled a bottle with pear juice, and she refused it after a few sips. @#$##$. I tried sucking on it myself to see what the problem was, and it was that there were little pear bits clogging the holes in the nipple. I was standing there knee-deep in sh*t, and just about to lose it!

I'm home now, and thoroughly exhausted! I put dd in her crib, and swaddled her with her jacket still on. I told her that if she knows what's best for us, she'll take a nap and let me regroup.

ayaiayai.

Thanks for all your advice!

Comment

And what I wanted to say was that as much as I'm hoping for this girl to have a nice, gooey turd, another part of me wants her to wait until her father gets home to do so... I've seen enough poop today.

Comment

Oh I'm sorry you've had such a rough day!

Comment

Alison - here is my advice (if I've said this before it's because I'm totally sleep deprived). Pretend you're in a sit-com. Honestly, at least once a day, I am thoroughly convinced someone must be filming me - we're way funnier than anything on TV. I know it's probably impossible to have perspective right now, but it is a little funny. Hoping the juice kicks in!
                    -Deb
                    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I forgot to reply to Marissa's post earlier -- thanks for asking! She is doing really well! Now, we've just got normal baby hurdles like teething and constipation! That's perfectly fine with me, actually.

Deb - I put dd down to sleep over 1 1/2 hours ago. She's doing a wonderful job of letting me relax and see how funny today has been!

Comment

We have a winner! Prune juice!!!!

And there I was thinking it was just for old people.

Comment

Yay! So glad to hear that she is eating, and now pooping!

Comment

prune juice really is miraculous stuff. Just don't drink too much or your bum will be like a water faucet!
                            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Prune juice is awesome. Dd is as chipper as can be, now that things are moving!

We went to brunch, and a mom dropped the entire contents of her kid's sippy cup into dd's stroller. Dd was drenched, but happy... I'm so tired of cleaning dd's stroller! Dh just took it over to the car wash to "detail" it.

Ugh!

Comment

Working...
                              X