Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Nursing While Sick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nursing While Sick

So, I've had some viris and I've been sick all week. Yesterday, I had a fever of 102.8. Nursing sometimes makes me light-headed and DrK was on night float. I was afraid I'd pass out with the baby in my arms and DrK away so I had to skip a couple pumping sessions and gave BabyK bottles of prevously pumped milk. Also, the last day or two my milk has not been flowing as quickly and I've noticed that the milk is very hot when I pump. The baby is complaining when I nurse. Remember, BabyK is still 100% on breast milk. Also -- sorry if this is TMI -- I think my first post-partum period is starting. Is this the end of nursing? Or is the milk factory temporarily out of service? Anything I should be doing?
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
    So, I've had some viris and I've been sick all week. Yesterday, I had a fever of 102.8. Nursing sometimes makes me light-headed and DrK was on night float. I was afraid I'd pass out with the baby in my arms and DrK away so I had to skip a couple pumping sessions and gave BabyK bottles of prevously pumped milk. Also, the last day or two my milk has not been flowing as quickly and I've noticed that the milk is very hot when I pump. The baby is complaining when I nurse. Remember, BabyK is still 100% on breast milk. Also -- sorry if this is TMI -- I think my first post-partum period is starting. Is this the end of nursing? Or is the milk factory temporarily out of service? Anything I should be doing?
    Are you getting enough fluids? That is my first thought when you mention being light-headed. If it is just the virus wearing you out, nurse as much as you are able, supplement BabyK and work on increasing your supply when you are feeling better.

The flavor of your milk will change depending on your cycle, so that definitely could be part of BabyK's issue. Sophie would start spitting up again right around my period, even when she was a year old.

I am a huge proponent of bfing. That said, I am also a firm believer in doing what is right for you and your family at that moment. If you are feeling too crappy to nurse BabyK as much as he would like, cut out a couple of feedings and add some formula to the breast milk he is taking. Once you are feeling better, you can add a couple of extra sessions with BabyK or pumping and within a week or so your supply will be back to what it should be. Formula doesn't equal failure, nor does it mean that you have to stop nursing.
    Kris

Comment

My supply always went down a little while I had my period, but I was always able to nurse through it. Also, definitely make sure you're staying hydrated. Remember that BabyK is getting all of the antibodies you've built up to this virus, so nursing him is also protecting him from it! That was the only thought that really pushed me to keep nursing while sick. Feel better soon.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Re: Nursing While Sick

The lightheaded feeling could be from dehydration. The fever will dehydrate you some. I never drink enough when I'm sick (cause my taste buds get all funky) and I definitely notice a dip in my supply. Also when i started cycling again.

Do what you need to. Get better and rest and drink lots of fluids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I'm sure that dehydration has something to do with it. I lost a lot of fluids the last couple days and I haven't been able to eat very much. (I'm back to my pre-pregancy weight, woo hoo! Not really woo hoo but you know what I mean.) I called my ob for advise after struggling to pump 1oz today. She's prescribed a z-pac because my symptoms have lasted a week and are too various to list. Also, she's recommended reglan. I'm kinda hoping I won't need it. Anyone have any experience with reglan?

Comment

I hope your feeling better!
            Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

I used reglan once with DD #1 and it made me sooo tired. Hope you feel better.
              Needs

Comment

Originally posted by Phoebe View Post
                I used reglan once with DD #1 and it made me sooo tired. Hope you feel better.
                Yes! This. I'm exhausted! I feel like I'm in a haze. And last night DrK came down with his version of The Plague though he seems to have recovered much more quickly than I have. I am feeling better too. Hopefully, the flu demons will leave our house before the dog gets sick too. Still, my milk production has been pretty lousy. I'm drinking gallons of water and Gatoraide to try to get my hydration levels up but it's slow going.

Comment

(((hugs))) I am so sorry you are facing this and feeling awful. (((virtual chicken soup)))

-C
                  Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Sorry to hear you're going through this. Sounds like you got hit with a double-whammy... it was my understanding that either being sick or starting your period can temporarily reduce your milk supply. Feel better soon!
                    Attorney, wife to EM attending, mom to two girls (ages 5 and 2)

Comment

Pump-and-dump if you're unsure of the virus being in the breast milk, but keep pumping because that will keep your supply up. Good thing you have previously pumped milk I saw that someone else said it, but keep your fluid intake up and try to eat as much as you can. This will help with production and fighting whatever you have.

Hope you feel better!

Originally posted by MrsK View Post

Comment

Re: Nursing While Sick

You are more likely to pass the virus to the baby before you show symptoms and via normal interactions. No need to dump your antibody containing milk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

The virus has passed. At least for me. (Though milk production is still a problem.) DrK has the virus now. So far, BabyK has been all right. He had something on Easter but was better in a day. I'm hoping that was it for him.

Comment

Working...
                          X