Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

play group and germs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• play group and germs...

I take dd to a play group, and there are tons of toys in the middle of the parent/baby circle for the babies to play with, only I'm such a weirdo about germs that I can't seem to just f-ing let go and let dd play with the toys. The thing is that the group is for babies 6-12 months of age, and they've got the toys in their mouths ALL THE TIME! So... I've taken to letting dd play with the plastic toys, and I wipe them down with Mrs. Meyer's baby cleaning wipes before handing them to her.

No wonder I have no friends!!! These people must think I'm a freak.

WWYD?
    married to an anesthesia attending

I let my kid crawl on the Moscow airport floor.

and he's been sick once.

Seriously, it's how you build immunity. You have to be exposed. and if it makes you feel any better- Nikolai had Giardia when we got back and we had play dates and family functions and none of them got it and they were slobbering all over each other.

Dirt and germs are ok. they're gross but they're ok.

Jenn

Comment

The week Caroline turned one she ate a dead worm and a piece of goose poop on the same day, at the local Apple Orchard. Saturday Amy & I took Oliver to the same Orchard. Caroline has always been VERY HEALTHY!!!!!
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I have to agree with Jenn and Luanne, it's how they build up their immune systems. I know it's gross to watch them swap germs with each other, though! Both of my kids have been in playgroups and playing with other babies since they were itty-bitty little things, and (knock wood) they've always been super-healthy. Among our friends it's an unwritten rule that you don't bring your kid if s/he is really sick (vomiting, febrile, etc.), so the garden-variety colds do get passed around (ick!) but other than that ... the exposure to other kids is really good for them! I honestly think they've gotten more illnesses from grocery store shopping carts than from playing with other kids (I know ... double ick).
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I have to agree. You need to get over it and let her play without the antibacterial wipes or gels. Neither of my kids had shopping cart covers. My kids rarely get sick.
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

But you can see slobber dripping from the toys, or that the plush toys are a little damp. Dd was pretty sick at 10 weeks with a cold, and spiked a fever, which scared me out of my wits. She has caught at least two more colds after that. Ever since I've gone to town with the wipes, she hasn't caught anything. I bet it doesn't have anything to do with the wipes, but they give me a little peace of mind.

I wipe them down after she plays with them, too, so that the other kids have a clean toy to play with. Does that change your opinion?

Comment

I have to agree with the others, it is how they build up their immune systems. Every kid is going to get colds, Robert seems to have more then Adele had at his age but they've each only been super sick once. She'll be fine.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I'm pretty laid back but the slobbery toys, no way, that would completely gross me out. If it was me I wouldn't use the baby wipes I'd just find another group. Have you tried The Little Gym or Gymboree? I don't ever remember having to deal with that type of stuff there and I met some fun people too.
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Nope- doesn't change my mind a bit. and if you want to freak out the other direction- they suspect that part of the reason why we're seeing so many drug-resistant illnesses these days is because of the overuse of anti-bacterial soaps and wipes. They're entering the water tables and messing with all kinds of good stuff.

Jenn

Comment

I know, I know... I guess I'm just always on edge this year, because I'm the only person around for dd. No relatives, no friends, and no husband most of the time. Can I keep her as my bubble girl for the next 3 months until we move somewhere where I can even get a 5-minute reprieve from her?

Comment

Alison, I still think intentionally swapping spit like that is unnecessary. Trust me, she will get plenty of germs when she starts preschool and in other situations. If you want to wipe the toys, wipe away girl.
                      Tara
                      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

There are these little shakers that make noise. They're shaped like eggs, and they're always so slimy. Those are the worst!

Many parents bring babies that are "getting over a cold." What does that mean?! Stay home!

Comment

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091208192005.htm

I was looking for a specific article, but can't find it. This one is close to what I was looking for.
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123 View Post
                            http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091208192005.htm

I was looking for a specific article, but can't find it. This one is close to what I was looking for.
                            Thanks! This was very interesting. I'm guessing we'll have to get on that household pet thing -- maybe having a pig is the answer to a healthy adulthood!

If a toy screams GERMS, then I'm not ok with it. You know, dripping with slobber. I'm not going to actively protect dd from other kids' germs in the sense that I put a mask on her or something as silly as that.

In Germany, it drove me nuts that at bakeries, the people selling bread would handle the bread with bare hands, then touch money, and then handle bread, without washing their hands. That, I am sure, would not fly in the US, nor on these boards. Or am I mistaken?

What about when your kid's binky or bottle falls on the ground. Do you lick the germs away yourselves? Stick it back in your kid's mouth?

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post

What about when your kid's binky or bottle falls on the ground. Do you lick the germs away yourselves? Stick it back in your kid's mouth?
                              We used to just do a quick clean with a wipe. I'd never lick the germs away, yuck!
                              Tara

Comment

Working...
                              X