Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Another swaddling question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another swaddling question

So Robert is now 5 months. He's better since we got his eczema under control and the last few nights of sleep have been better as well. Last night he slept from 6-9:30 and 10:15-4:45 and 5:45-7:15 when I'm pretty sure his sister woke him up.

Anyway, the problem is that he's rolling over swaddled. Last night when he hadn't woken up by 3:15 I went in to check on him. He had rolled over fully swaddled. He was fine, his head was positioned away from the bumper and he was sound asleep but it could have been the other way. So I took his bumper out. When he woke up at 4:45 and I put him back down at 5:45 he promptly rolled over, fussed a little bit and then fell asleep.

So of course everything says that they shouldn't be able to roll over swaddled and that once they do you should stop. So has anyone else had this happen and continued to swaddle? I figured out last night that he sees swaddling as a sleep cue which is why we've had a hard time weening him of it. I guess since I know he's strong enough to turn his head and not end up on his nose I don't really see the concern of letting him sleep on his stomach if that is what he wants.

Anyone???
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

This is a hard one for me because neither of my kids really liked to be swaddled, even as newborns, they'd scream and kick until their limbs were free. Can you loosen the swaddling gradually to wean him off of it? I think that's what I would do. Not sure why, just my instinct on it.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
      This is a hard one for me because neither of my kids really liked to be swaddled, even as newborns, they'd scream and kick until their limbs were free. Can you loosen the swaddling gradually to wean him off of it? I think that's what I would do. Not sure why, just my instinct on it.
      I'm with Heidi, I would start weaning him from the swaddle. Our kiddos never wanted to be swaddled past three weeks though so long term swaddling is foreign to me.
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I think you're both probably right - of course DH isn't going to have a night home where he can help until May 8th - yep, more then 3 weeks! So its all on me and I think its going to be a painful process. The kids are going to daycare tomorrow so I could sleep most of the day if I needed to so I guess we'll start tonight and see how it goes...

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
          That's exactly what I thought. I remember *weaning* J from the swaddle at about 3 months. She was fussing because of being restricted, but she associated swaddling with sleep time, too.

If you put him to sleep on his stomach he may have that *swaddled* feeling too...

Good luck!
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

We still swaddle, despite the rolling over. Dd finds the air she needs, and sleeps well ONLY if she's swaddled. She's 7.5 months old.
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

My nephew still wanted to be swaddled at a year. My sister joked that if she didn't wean him they would be swaddling him in high school! She gradually weaned by first leaving one arm out of the swaddle (like a toga) and then when he got used to that she left his arms out of the swaddle (like a strapless dress), and then eventually the swaddle got looser and looser.
              Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Well we're just going to go cold turkey I know it will suck at first but I think in the long run it will be better. I just put him down for nap in a sleep sack, he cried for less then 4 minutes and is now asleep on his stomach and it looks like he might have his thumb in his mouth. He hasn't been a thumb sucker but if that is what it takes we'll deal with that later. We'll see...

Comment

With Cora I swaddled until six months--her sleep was really going to hell between four months and six months, and the swaddle wasn't seeming right anymore. I tried the one-arm-out method of weaning and she seemed just as freaked as with no swaddle at all, so we went cold turkey. She had one weekend of extra-lousy sleep, then for a week she went back to her normal-lousy sleep. Then the next weekend we started sleep training. She was a late roller, so my reason for swaddle-weaning was to get ready for sleep training.

That's the sum total of my swaddle-weaning knowledge. So .

I think in your scenario I would wean from the swaddle now. I'd try the one-arm-out method, and if it didn't work I'd go cold turkey.

(crossposted. you've already got a plan in action and it sounds like it's working!)
                  Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                  Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                  Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Thanks, Julie - I saw your blog post, what a cutie!

Comment

I agree. We would do the same if it weren't for dh's oral boards next week. He can't lose sleep right now, but we did go cold turkey once for two naps, and she slept terribly (maybe 15 minutes for each nap), and then was up very often both nights, despite being swaddled. I think we'd need to devote several days to detoxing from the swaddle. . Let me know how it goes! The limiting factor for us is that dd is quickly outgrowing her swaddle sack! I might have to cut some leg holes for her!
                      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

He slept for 80 minutes - yay!

Comment

Working...
                        X