Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Warning: Pampers Dry Max Diapers and Chemical Burn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning: Pampers Dry Max Diapers and Chemical Burn

Hi Guys! Just wanted to share some info with you regarding the new pampers dry max diapers. My cousin just called me, who is the Dad of an 11 month old little boy and said that upon the very first diaper change with the pampers dry max diapers his son developed two quarter sized blistering chemical burns, confirmed by the pediatrician. At first, they had no idea what could have caused this, but then his wife remembered reading something on an online parenting forum stating that their child seemed to develop a similar burn. Since then, she has found several online postings from parents experiencing this same problem. Poor babies! Thankfully, my little cousin is doing okay and healing well. Still gets crazy during diaper changes, but seems to be on the mend.
    Just wanted to share this unsettling news and to warn against these diapers!
    Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

OMG - I'm so glad you posted this. I feel like a terrible mommy. I switched DD about two days ago to the new Pampers, and she's had a diaper rash that is slowly getting worse. She's had a little virus as well, so I was attributing it to that - I'm sure it's the new diapers (and any other time, I would've figured that out), but I'm so tired, I didn't even think! Thank you!!! Ugh - that ticks me off - I have a giant box of them.
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I just got off the phone with pampers - they are sending me coupons for another product that will make up for the cost of the box of dry max diapers I had bought. I really just feel bad, and kind of stupid. I'm usually so on top of my kiddos with this kind of stuff (and maybe this is why DD hasn't been sleeping).
      -Deb

Comment

Hmm, interesting. DS#1 broke out in rashes whenever I put him in Pampers (this was a few years ago), so I stopped using Pampers altogether thinking that maybe he just had a sensitivity to that particular brand.
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the heads up!
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Why are they not recalling them?

http://www.parentdish.com/2010/04/23...arents-allege/
            Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

We are a huggies household here. But funny thing. . . BabyK was born with a little round strawberry mark on his bottom. (Absolutely fabulous place for a birthmark. I've wondered whether I should tell him about it or if I should just wait until I overhear one of his future girlfriends talking about his cute little birthmark.) Every time a sitter or friend changes his diaper, they come to me with a worried look and tell me about the mark -- thinking its a rash or burn. When I sent him to daycare, I disclosed it on the paperwork that they ask us to fill out regarding diaper changes, creme, etc. so they wouldn't worry.
              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Thank you and Deebs for reporting this! And thanks for mentioning it here. I had been thinking about trying them out for when dd isn't in cloth. Ug, I'm sorry that you had to deal with this, but it definitely sounds like it's more widespread than in your cousin's house.
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Whoa, thanks for posting this! Hazel does have a slight diaper rash and I remember thinking "you're a bit young for a diaper rash, kiddo--your big sister never got one until 11 months." She's breastmilk only and I was trying to think if I could have done anything to my milk, etc.

We use pampers for overnight only, and I just checked and, yup, the pack we opened last week is drymax. Honestly it would have taken me forever to figure that out, since we've used pampers in the past with no problem. I had already thrown away the packaging and didn't realize they'd made changes to their product--I had to go back and check my order record online. You probably saved my girl-o from an increasingly sore butt!
                  Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                  Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                  Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Seriously folks -- I can't say enough about the Seventh Generation Diapers. I love them (and they are available on subscribe and save). I was worried I'd lose some quality in order to buy the (slightly) greener version of diapers, but on the occasions when we've had to use Pampers or Huggies, I realized that the Seventh Generation diapes are actually MORE absorbent.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
                      Seriously folks -- I can't say enough about the Seventh Generation Diapers. I love them (and they are available on subscribe and save). I was worried I'd lose some quality in order to buy the (slightly) greener version of diapers, but on the occasions when we've had to use Pampers or Huggies, I realized that the Seventh Generation diapes are actually MORE absorbent.
                      Yes, Seventh Generation Diapers are really absorbent! I agree. I'm not a huge fan of the tabs and the fact that they're anything but soft, but I'm over those things (pretty much).
                      And yay for being GREEN!
                      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I just opened a huge box of Dry Max diapers when I came across all these warnings. So far DD has been ok (it's only been 2 days though). If nothing happens, I'll just finish the box but will be switching to another brand going forward. Seems that there are tons of pissed off parents out there. I wonder how Pampers is planning on handling this issue.

Deebs what other products did Pampers sent you coupons for?

Comment

They wanted to send them for another diaper product, but I was worried that I would end up with something with the same stuff in it, just marketed differently. I use the think sensitive wipes that are dye/fragrance free, so they are supposed to send me enough coupons to be equivalent to what I spent on the box of diapers. I guess I should have tried to get them to send me a refund, but honestly, my point in calling them was more in hopes that they will get enough complaints that they will be forced to do a recall (plus, I called before I started looking all over the web and finding out how extensive this issue is). I also called my pediatrician to let him know so that if he has other kiddos with diaper rashes that won't resolve, this will come to mind. He was really glad to have the warning b/c his wife just picked up a box of these for their daughter.
                          -Deb

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I rarely use disposibles on Sophie and was planning on trying these out, but she has terribly sensitive skin. So much so, that she gets a rash any time I put her in disposibles 2 diapers in a row. Ugh!
                            Kris

Comment

DD is a new child today (which makes me feel a little worse). She slept from 7:30-4:30 and 5:00-8:00, basically just waking up to eat. After spending most of yesterday diaper free, getting an oatmeal bath, and being slathered in some crazy creams, her rash/burn is almost gone. When DH got home from work, he was livid. He seriously wants to sue Pampers, and he's very anti-litigation for most things (I think because he feels like a target for suit most days). Well, come to find out, he's written a few medical chapters on diaper rash, which is kind of random. So, he's going to give Pampers a call Monday and push on their risk management a bit. Seeing as how he's some kind of crazy diaper-rash expert, I think he should!
                              -Deb

Comment

Working...
                              X