Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Flying with a 9-month old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying with a 9-month old

I'm starting to panic about flying with dd next week. I think it has to do with the fact that ever since dh and I have been back from our trip, she's been different. She's far more active, into things, and mobile. That's not a huge problem, but within the last two days, she just seems so frustrated. She screams at the top of her lungs when she can't do/reach/touch something. It's as if she wants to do things that she isn't quite capable of doing yet. She's starting to scream whenever I put her in her stroller. She screams when we are sitting at restaurants; screams when she's bored; screams when I'm not paying full attention to her; and so on and so forth. I'm afraid she's going to scream when we are on the plane. I'm ok with crying, but it's this blood curddling scream that has me concerned.

Yesterday it was pouring, and we got stuck in it after my dentist appointment. I took cover outside of the Nordstrom here, and after 5 minutes dd had had it. She screamed and a lady who was also standing under the same awning told me to control dd. *+%*+^^***%! I was so frustrated with dd and the whole situation at that very moment that I said "well her crying isn't nearly as offensive as your outfit."

Do you guys have any suggestions for occupying dd during the flight? She's not interested in toys, but I know I need to get her some new things to play with on the flight? Is this the time to have a video running for her? Do you know of any toys that look like real cell phones, keys, laptops, tv remotes?!

TIA.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Originally posted by alison View Post
    I was so frustrated with dd and the whole situation at that very moment that I said "well her crying isn't nearly as offensive as your outfit."

TIA.

Not much to bring for a 9 month old. Did you buy her a seat so she can sit in her car seat? I remember reading Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boynton for two straight hours to keep our oldest happy on a flight when she was about your dd's age. I was exhausted but she was happy as were the passengers around us. Don't worry, she will do fine.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Do you have any old cell phones you don't use anymore? We have some toy cell phones and remotes but my dd always wants the real stuff! Or how about finger puppets? I used this type of book on car trips but I don't know if the plane's engine will drown out the book's sounds: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3306373

Other than that, is there any food she loves? My dd loved puffs at that age so I'd feed them to her one at a time on long car trips and that kept her quiet for awhile.

Comment

NEW stuff- the problem is that their attention span is like a microsecond until they want something, then they can scream for days. Sucks. Nikolai LOVED this book called "That's not my train" - there's a whole bunch in the series- they're kind of like Pat the Bunny in that each page has a different texture. You can try baby books like those where you can help her feel the different things.

The puffs thing is a good idea- we called them Baby Crack in my house.

Jenn

Comment

No, we ended up not getting dd a seat, because it's almost $300/ticket to fly that weekend (Memorial Day weekend). If I could swing it, I would have bought an entire section of the plane.... It looks like the plane isn't very full on the way up there (first flight, weekday).

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I've got an old cell phone I can give her. I'm also going to buy dd a slinky, because she's obsessed by coiled door stops.

She does like those books where you can touch things, but she's got the patience of a fly these days. I think she's also cutting another tooth.

She's into shiny objects like watches and phones. And she also like to play with cords. Ack! Do you have any suggestions for toys that have cords? Or maybe some jewelry-type toys?

Comment

What about one of those dolls with the snaps, zippers, buttons, shoe laces, etc??
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I had a reply all typed out, and it disappeared.

Alison, since the plane doesn't appear to be full, I would bring her carseat. You can gate check it if you need to or, best case senario, she can have her own seat for free. I always liked sitting in the back of the plane, close to the engines because the noise made Caleb nod off easily.
              Kris

Comment

From someone who has flown multiple times in DD's 14 month life: stash some of her favorite toys away now so that they are "new" for the flight. And bring a big bag of those toys and new ones and anything else that might be entertaining. DD likes watches, unopened crinkly bags of chips, empty plastic water bottles. Target sells a toy cellphone that looks like the real thing and has great beeps. It's rated 3 and up I think, but there are no tiny pieces, so I think it's about as safe as a real phone. Bonus: it doesn't have to be turned off on the plane like the real ones do.

Little treats like puffs and cheerios are good too. Also, be sure to get a little plastic beverage cup on the plane. That's usually fairly entertaining.

It's hard, but you'll survive. On our last trip, we flew Southwest and we were late to our connecting flight. There were no empty seats together and nobody volunteered to switch into a middle seat so DH and I could sit together. So DD and I had to sit in the middle seat between two dudes. It was the longest hour and ten minutes of my life. I usually nurse her on flights, but there was no way I was going to be able to do that - there was no room! Anyway, hope it all goes well for you!!
                Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

If you'd started to nurse her someone would probably have volunteered to switch.

Alison - you said she gets entranced by the TV, right? Take the portable DVD and something bright and colorful. My M *loves* Curious George with a passion that cannot be described. Maybe a dvd of the movie or a compilation of several of the shows? I know your M is younger, but it's a cute, funny little monkey who jumps all over the place. Or Baby Einstein ... but I hate Baby Einstein.

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                    "well her crying isn't nearly as offensive as your outfit."

You're my hero!!! Seriously! This is priceless!!!

As far as the flight, you'll manage. Sounds like she's going through a *developmental spurt* right now, and it's very frustrating for babies. I didn't have much to entertain J when she flew at this age. In our experience, the plane is so loud and different it calmed the kids down pretty well.

Practice your "Screw you" expression to give any other passenger who gives you the "can't you control your child" look. And use it. Liberally. Nothing pisses me off more than business travelers who feel the need to grunt and moan if my kid is "in their way."

I was about to say this: "I'm sorry Mr Important but... you're travelling by yourself... And if you want to throw a hissy fit in the airport, you need to travel with your mommy so that I can ask her why she can't control her son..." When a business traveler was getting his panties in a wad because Luke was having trouble moving a suitcase out of his way on the moving sidewalk. But then we were at the end, and the chance slipped me by...

Boo hoo.

Just don't worry about the flight. It won't be that bad. Really.
                    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
                      If you'd started to nurse her someone would probably have volunteered to switch.
                      Haha - actually, in this case, I doubt it! These two guys were the ones who said that they didn't mind sitting by the baby after I addressed the back half of the plane, "Ok, who wants to sit by the baby then". They were really nice, and they tried to engage DD as much as adult businessmen can. But, I had to keep distracting DD when the drinks and snacks were delivered, as I didn't think they would have appreciated baby fingers being dipped in their Coke.
                      Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

Thanks everyone. These are very helpful suggestions. I'm sure it will be fine, and I'll wonder why I was even panicking about this.
                        If it was the dd of a few weeks ago, I'd say no problem. She was sweet, and could fill her time just looking around and cooing. I think my parents switched her with her evil twin. I'm exhausted from caring for this crazy child who only seems happy when she's going after electrical cords, door stops, and window blinds.

Comment

In my experience, they go back to their "normal" temperament. It's just hard when they are learning a new skill- it takes massive amounts of energy and causes frustration. But when they get it, they are more mobile, but back to their normal self until the next developmental spurt...

She just sounds like a healthy active baby to me! No problems there!
                          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Thanks, Peggy. This surely can't go on forever. I feel like a terrible person, because I start to really look forward to when she goes down for naps. I just need a break from this crazy person. I've looked up Gymboree in our area in the hopes that dh and dd can spend some time there "getting it out" in father-daughter time. They have a Saturday class, so it might work out!

Just when I thought we'd worked the kinks out of her!!!!

Comment

I feel your pain. I'm still traumatized from my last flight with BabyK and likely will avoid air travel until he's 17. I used to feel sorry for people that had to sit near the screaming baby. Now I feel sorry for the person that has to sit UNDER the screaming baby.
                              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Working...
                              X