Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sleep/Food Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep/Food Question

Ok ladies, help me out. R will be 7 months tomorrow. We've tried feeding him with a spoon since he was about 5 1/2 months and haven't really gotten anywhere. Yesterday I finally got him to take 3 bites of oatmeal w/banana but mostly he eats puffs, cheerios, and any fruit or veggies I can put in those mesh feeders. Mostly its puffs and cheerios right now, which is fine with me. If he wants to be a kid who feeds himself I'm not arguing with him.

But my question (yes, I know get to the point!) is does feeding solids usually mess with their sleep in a bad way? We pretty much had his sleep down to bedtime at 6 or 6:30, wake up once, eat and go back to sleep, get up somewhere between 5 and 6. Monday night and Tuesday nights he slept fine but got up at 5. Last night he wouldn't go to bed until 8:15. We tried about every 30 minutes starting at 6, he wouldn't take the bottle and if you put him to bed he'd scream bloody murder. Sometimes we let him CIO but I can usually tell from his cry if its going to work - last night it wasn't. Finally at 8:15 he went right to sleep like the past two hours had been no big deal. So he wakes up at 3:45, I feed him and he falls right asleep but as soon as I put him in his crib he screamed bloody murder. I tried 3 times and finally gave up and slept in the recliner with him from 5-6. DH didn't have to be at work until 8 so he got up at 6 so that I could get at least another hour of sleep.

Today he won't nap. Usually 3 hours is his max for awake time before both his naps, this morning he was up from 6-10 and then fell asleep in the carseat on a way to a friends and woke up as soon as we got there so he got maybe 10 minutes. He then fell asleep on the way home and slept maybe 20 minutes. He also won't take his bottle. He's had nothing but puffs and cheerios and MAYBE 4oz of fluids since he got up at 6am.

I've checked his teeth, I don't see any swollen gums - I'm at a TOTAL loss. We're going to my inlaws this weekend, I have no idea what we're going to do if he doesn't sleep.?????
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Have you tried infant tylenol/motrin? He could be coming down with something and might have a sore throat.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

This honestly sounds like reflux. Especially the part about him waking up at 3:45 feeding, and crying when laying him down. If he's ok in the recliner, slightly upright then I think he's probably feeling comfortable like that. Same with the car seat in the car. He's probably comfortable enough to sleep in that instance.

Is he off the Zantac?

We weaned dd off Prevacid and she did poorly. She's back on it again.

It seems that reflux can come and go, and it manifests itself in different ways that are more difficult to identify as reflux when they're no longer newborns.
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Tara, that is a good point we did finally give him some tylenol before he went to bed last night maybe I should have given him some more when he woke. I'll go get some Motrin so that we can alternate them.

alison, he's been off his zantac for more then a month now, I don't think that is it because he doesn't seem to be spitting up more then usual.

Comment

It isn't that dd spit up more after being off the prevacid, but more general discomfort, difficulty sleeping, and an aversion to eating. I mean, do adults with reflux spit up?

Comment

Well since he's been off the meds for a month and this just started two days ago I can't imagine that is it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
              Well since he's been off the meds for a month and this just started two days ago I can't imagine that is it. Maybe I'm wrong.
              Could it be a certain food that's giving him the reflux-y discomfort? Maybe it isn't reflux, but it's just that it's been my (dd's) nemesis all along. I'm quick to blame things on it.

Does he cough at all?

Comment

*hijack*

At 7 months they eat puffs and cheerios? I'm so lost. BabyK will be 6 months next week -- just 5 weeks younger than R -- and he seems miles away from puffs and cheerios. He just started rice cereal and strained carrots this week and he's not sitting up on his own. Should I be encouraging him to feed himself?

As for the sleep thing, I dunno. We had to CIO tonight.
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

MrsK, no R should be eating off of a spoon but he has NO interest in spoons so rice cereal and baby food have been a waste of our time. He will eat the puffs and cheerios if I feed them to him, if I put a whole bunch on his tray he might get a couple in his mouth. I'm encouraging the feeding himself since he has no interest in the spoon I suspect once he perfects his pincher grasp he'll want to feed himself anyway.

So he napped like crap today but I gave him tylenol at 1:30 and motrin at 5:30 and he went to bed as usual at 6:15. We'll see how it goes. Maybe he is teething or something and I'm just not seeing it.

Comment

Hey Cheri I thought these links might be useful for you. I did a lot of reading on baby led weaning (letting baby feed himself) when J would not eat from a spoon. There are lots of ideas for things to feed them at different ages, recipes to make finger foods and the last link has some important information on the difference between gagging and choking. Jack never choked, and honestly the only times he gagged were when I gave him fruit with the peel still on. He was an early teether so maybe that helped?

BTW it sounds like R is teething to me, J used to act differently way before we could see anything in his mouth.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/babyledweaning.htm
                    http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...lw/engels.html
                    http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/blog

Comment

Thanks Kirsty, those are helpful!

Comment

Working...
                      X