Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

MORE crib recalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MORE crib recalls

I am so glad we didn't get a drop side - I wonder if they're going to get rid of them completely.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062401732.html
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

We bought a new crib, and were intentionally avoiding a drop-side. It wasn't all that difficult - there aren't many left. We destroyed DS's crib when he was done with it. I didn't check, but it was probably in the last batch of recalls. I think it's just a matter of time before we realize that the quality things used to be made with just doesn't exist anymore and so a solid-state crib is the only way to go.
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

And it looks like it's time to move Kenny to a toddler bed. I'll give my friend a call this weekend (she's been holding her daughter's old one for us). I haven't been using the drop side function recently, but I did when he was 1-2.5 years old. Now I just reach down as far as I can and gently "drop" him in the crib. No, at 3, he still doesn't fall asleep in his crib easily.
      Veronica
      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

We have a drop side crib but it was made over 30 years ago (when things were made to last). It was DH's crib and has been passed down in the family for years. I looked at some of the problems with the newer drop side cribs and it seems they got cheap on some of the hardware and went from metal bars to plastic. Either way, we are going this week to hopefully get E his twin bed and get the room ready for two boys!
        Danielle
        Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Originally posted by Tenacious_D View Post
          We have a drop side crib but it was made over 30 years ago (when things were made to last). It was DH's crib and has been passed down in the family for years. I looked at some of the problems with the newer drop side cribs and it seems they got cheap on some of the hardware and went from metal bars to plastic. Either way, we are going this week to hopefully get E his twin bed and get the room ready for two boys!
          I have noticed this as well. We have had the same crib for all our kiddos so it is over 16 years old and made very well. All metal parts and truly only a few screws to have the crib completely put together. There is a lot of crap being put out on the market now. I would definitely not buy a drop side crib anymore. Truly, we never have really used that function of ours very much so I don't think not having it would be a huge loss.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

We have a Child Craft from '97. It was a fantastic crib -- well made, all metal hardware, etc. When DH took it down after DD2 moved to a toddler bed, the instructions got lost. Along with some hardware. What a pain!
            Veronica

Comment

My parents very stupidly got rid of the crib that was my moms because they were sure the newer ones were safer. Everyone slept in that crib- my mother, her three siblings, my brother and two of my cousins. The thing was rock solid.

Jenn

Comment

I don't know how anyone 5' and under can use the stationary sides crib. I've tried all the floor models I could find and they all came up to my armpits. I'd have to throw DD over the rails and hope for the best. Luckily we ended up getting a nice Italian made hand-me-down crib that has 2 drop-down sides.

Comment

I have to drop K in his crib. At 37lbs, there's a little bounce when he hits the mattress. LOL
                  Veronica

Comment

I had to put A down while she was still awake when the crib is at its lowest setting, luckily she was a great sleeper and would lay right down and go to sleep. I don't think R is going to be so easy - he may get dropped too

Comment

And MORE crib recalls - plus it looks like they're trying to make drop sides illegal.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38247562...and_parenting/

Comment

YIKES! I am so glad that we bought a non drop crib. Which when we were shopping over a year ago was a hard thing since I am only 5'1. My SIL who is 4'9 stands on a large stool so its easier for her to reach in to put her son down.

Comment

Working...
                        X