Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sippy cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I remember, I started DS on a sippy cup at 7-8 months. Took a while for him to get the hang of it, but he did fine. The daycare that he was attending at the time did not use sippy cups once they reached the 2 year old room (the kids were actually 18-36months). I'll admit, at first it was really annoying that they refused sippy's. He came home smelling of sour milk every day. Stinky. But in the end, it was a good thing because by the time he was 2 he was drinking very well out of a regular cup with miinimal spillage.
    Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Comment

The handout from our ped says "Closer to nine months introduce a sippy cup with water, breast milk, or formula."

Last time we started with one with water and it was largely a toy for a while--something else to slap around the high chair tray.
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I took dd to a baby store here where they have changing tables and weighing stations that you can use if you've got a membership. I've got one, so I weighed dd yesterday, and she was 18 pounds 3 oz! YAYAYAYAYAY! She'd been hovering in the 17-pound range for so long. She was completely naked, but as soon as I put a diaper on her, she pooped. So, I cleaned her up and weighed her again: 17 pounds 15 oz.
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Great news!!!
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I'm not aware of the feeding & dental issues, and definitely not trying to push a sippy cup - but I did run across something that worked extremely well when I was transitioning my kids to a straw-type sippy cup. I used the juice boxes - you know, the kind where you jam the straw through the foil hole in the top. When you squeeze the box, the juice comes up through the straw, so the baby learns to associate the straw with juice, which quickly leads to sucking on the straw. (I phased out the juice boxes when the kids were old enough to grab the box from my hands, shooting juice everywhere). The straw sippies with lots of valves worked best for us at first - virtually no leaking. Then we switched to an easier-to-clean valveless style when they stopped dropping their cups all over the place.
            By the way, if you try the juice box thing, look for Mott's apple juice. As I understand, it's pre-diluted, which means less trouble with diarrhea.

Comment

Working...
            X