Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Soy formula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soy formula

I know some of you have tried soy formula with your kids. What's your take on it?

Even though various drs keep telling me that the chances of DD being allergic to any food or lactose intolerant are extremely small, I do think she's doing better on soy formula than she did on regular one. Btw, I only use it to supplement, so she gets about 2 bottles (10 oz or so) a day at most. She's sleeping better and the rash (due to spit up) under her chin is almost gone. Of course my mom is all freaked out about traces of hormones that are in soy and how I'm screwing her up already. I've read up on it and the consensus is that the traces are in insignificant and no concrete testing has been done on humans and nobody has noticed any ill effects in any human babies who are fed exclusively soy formula.

We did soy formula with Eo. I started having joint pain and I noticed my milk production was decreasing so we supplemented with soy twice a day. At 12 mos he was on the smaller side so the ped had me give him the soy until 18 mos. I'm lactose intolerant but didn't know until I was a grown up. After years of choking down milk, I can't stand the thought of milk. My mom felt terrible. Anyhow, that's why we did soy instead of cow.

Comment

Baby girl is on Similac Almintum. I tried her on Soy about a month ago just to give it a try. Soy is much cheaper than Almintum. No dice. I guess we are stuck with Almintum until the end of her formula days.

FWIW It sounds like you are on the right track. I'd stick with what makes your baby healthy and not worry about those "maybes and what-if's."
      Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
      "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

If she seems to be doing better on it then stick with it- my friend switched to soy with her son and he did better with his eczema. She also is lactose intolerant (funny because she used to drink gallons of the stuff at my house after school) and is allergic to soy, chicken and beef. (yes, which basically leaves salmon, lobster and lamb. and wine) She wasn't diagnosed w/ the food allergies and various other food sensitivities until after she was 40.

J.

Comment

Dd was on soy formula for a few weeks, because we thought that she had a lactose sensitivity (turns out that it was probably her reflux). The stuff is so smelly, my goodness!

The next thing we tried was Similac Sensitive which my bil recommended to us instead of soy. His feeling is that babies are rarely actually lactose intolerant but may only have a sensitivity issue, and if they're on soy, the sensitivity problems may be compounded later if the babies are entirely on a lactose-free diet. Of course, yours is only supplemented with soy, and it isn't her entire food source ( like it would have been for my dd), so I think you're good to go.

Oh man is soy smelly though!
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I tried Enfamil Soy and it wasn't smelly at all. Then again I live with a cat who pees everywhere, so may be I just can't smell it. I'm still playing around with various formulas to see if they make a difference in her skin condition. I think that soy made her less itchy but DH is convinced there are other factors involved.

Comment

Working...
            X