Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Serious binkie issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious binkie issues

J has decided to start throwing her binkie out during naps and bed. It's her favorite game. We are at my moms house for 3 weeks. And we hav a trip we hav to take which involves hotels. It looks like I'm going to hav to get up every freaking hour like last night to give her the binkie or else go xold turkey but that's going to involve a lot of crying.

Why couldn't she just suck her thumb? Sigh.

She's almost 2 btw. And dh is not with us.

I'm already ready to go home. This just... Sucks.

Any advice for getting rid of the binkie? There's no cute binkie fairy story that would work. She's too litte for that. I think eventually it will hav to be a cold turkey thing, but is there anything anyone has had success with?

TIA
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

So maybe this is completely stupid because I don't have a baby but couldn't you get one of those things that clip the binkie to her? That way she can throw it all she wants but it's not going anywhere!
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Another thought. . . If you had about a dozen binkies in the crib, would she throw them all out? My thought is to have extras so that there is always a binkie within reach.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
        Another thought. . . If you had about a dozen binkies in the crib, would she throw them all out? My thought is to have extras so that there is always a binkie within reach.
        I would do this. Of course our boys used their paci's until they were three so I never did the cold turkey thing. Hang in there.
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I thought about putting a lot in there. She stands up and throws them out. It's totally a game to her. I thought if tying one to the crib but I don't think It would be safe unless the stringvwas really short. Sigh.

Right now she woke up from a short nap and threw a binkie down and then she starts yelling "mommy I threw my baby down". But I guess tonight I can try to have a few in there. I only brought 9 with me.

Sucks. Maybe I can train her to use her thumb.
          Peggy

Comment

How about Tulips's suggestion. . . tie the binkie to the baby, not to the crib.
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I was thinking about those stretchy clips you can get at Target or Walmart. Especially if she's wide awake while she's doing it - she's going to realize pretty quick that it isn't going anywhere...
              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

She can take off the clips. She can open pill bottles too. She's good with her hands. Iwould have to tie a string to her with a knot. Makes me too worried to have her sleeping with a string tied to her. But maybe if it were only 4" or so in length. ???
                Peggy

Comment

Last night she had 6 bunnies in there. She did ok until she was ready to get up in the morning at 5 am. She threw them all out

She's never been a great sleeper...
                  Peggy

Comment

I keep reading this thread title as "Serious Bikini Issues"
                    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Peggy - I am sure that I am going to be feeling your pain soon. Sophie only takes a pacifier when she sleeps and when I go to get her in the morning she is pointing to it on the floor, shouting "uh-oh" over and over until it is returned to her. I panic just thinking about not having a paci for bedtime.
                      Kris

Comment

We discovered that DS only liked a pacifier because of the suction he created by sucking. If he couldn't get the suction, he didn't want it. I ended up poking holes in all of his binkies so he couldn't create an adequate suction and he stopped using them.

Comment

Working...
                        X