Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

First Night Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Night Away

My in-laws have volunteered to stay with DS on Saturday night while DH and I go on a date and spend the night at a hotel. I'm giddy! And of all things, mostly excited about getting my first full night of sleep since March. I'm sure I'll wake up - it's got to be habit by now - but I can roll back over and go to sleep!

So, what should I do to make this as painless as possible for DS and his grandparents? I need to find a happy medium for the amount of instructions to leave. I can think of a million tips I could tell them for getting him to sleep (and back to sleep), but that's way overkill. Or I could just give them a loose schedule of when he'll eat and sleep and let them do what comes naturally as far as rocking, pacifier, etc.

I've also thought about sleeping with a set of his pajamas so they'd have my scent. Or would that make him look for me and become upset?

What else do I need to know? I'm sure I'll be worried some, but I trust my in-laws, and they're great with him.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

First of all, enjoy your time away and get some rest! As for instructions, I would leave a genaral schecule, with loose time frames. I would leave some tips as far as what gets him to sleep (and back to sleep), but not a million. Some grandparents NEED the tips (my Dad) wheras others wing it naturally (my MIL). I guess you've got to feel out your audience. Just because your parents/in-laws raised you and your DH, doesn't mean they are able to care for their grandchild as easily as they were able to care for their own. Chances are, they are a little rusty, not to mention, Mom/Dad know best when it comes to babies IMO.
    Try not to worry too much about what's going on at home. I know from personal experience, if you happen to call and the baby is crying/crabby, it can really dampen your night. Who knows, maybe you called at the only time the baby cried, etc. I would encourage them to call you instead (should something come up). Chances are, they won't. Maybe check in after bedtime to put your mind at ease.
    I still get a little anxious now and then with sitters, etc. I tend to text. that way, I'm not calling at a bad time and I get pretty basic response to ease my mind. Sometimes the less info I have from sitters, the better. Basically, I just want to know that everyone is safe.
    Most of all, have fun! It'll be good for you and your DH, your IL's, and the little guy!
    Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Comment

I made a detailed schedule for dd for when my parents watched her. They deviated from it in some instances (with feeding). They were able to get her to eat so much more than I ever could... . My mom liked knowing dd's nap schedule. I felt better with the schedule laid out for them and emergency numbers. Your inlaws will be fine! There's no one out there who has A's interests in mind like they do!

I hope you have a lovely time! I know that as soon as I stepped on the plane, I felt so liberated!!! I was so happy to see dd again, but it's a great feeling to be your own person for a night or two!
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Have a great time. Leave a general schedule with a few tips. If there is a favorite blanket or pacifier make sure they are there. They will all be fine.
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I'm reading this closely for when we go to Rome next year.
          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Show them where the baby supplies are, leave a contact number, and GO. They've done this before--they're parents! Have a blast, don't worry, and don't over-schedule. If they are like most grandparents I know, they'll dump your schedule the second you walk out the door!

Comment

Yay for you guys!
              Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Ask 'em what they want to know. My mom wanted me to write down the bedtime routine steps, but had barely any questions about anything else. They already had their own plans of how they wanted to spend the time.
                Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I give my mom general guidelines, similar to what I tell my babysitter. If they have any questions, they'll call.

Comment

I give my mom general guidelines, similar to what I tell my babysitter. If they have any questions, they'll call
                    Yes, this.

Ask 'em what they want to know. My mom wanted me to write down the bedtime routine steps, but had barely any questions about anything else. They already had their own plans of how they wanted to spend the time.
                    and this too!

Show them where the baby supplies are, leave a contact number, and GO. They've done this before--they're parents! Have a blast, don't worry, and don't over-schedule. If they are like most grandparents I know, they'll dump your schedule the second you walk out the door!
                    and definitely this!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Thanks everyone! It went great! I left a written schedule with the advice that the times aren't as important as the order (bottle, bath, bedtime, or he'll be wide awake), and showed them where everything was. He did great - the little stinker only woke up for his feedings, no in-between wakeups like he normally has!

As for DH and I... DH must have had something bad at dinner because he was sick to his stomach twice last night. So, while I felt sorry for him, I also felt sorry for myself that I was up at 1:30 and 3:30. And then he woke up around 7:30 and got up. Fortunately, he just read his book quietly and let me go back to sleep. It was still a fantastic night's sleep compared to the usual, but that full night of sleep still eludes me!
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                      X