Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Stupid mommy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid mommy question

Is it necessary to Swaddle an infants arms (safety reasons etc?). Ava hTes it's and fights to get her arms out for a while

I honestly never swaddled my infants and never had a problem ... I think it all depends on the child and the parent's preferences.

We have some experienced swaddlers here who have it down pat. I know they will chime in.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I think it's child dependent. If she sleeps well (2h) with out it then don't bother. I think the point of swaddling is to give them womb-like snugness and to bind their arms so they don't do the startle reflex and wake themselves up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

D swaddled for a few weeks. K not so much and with P I couldn't get a blanket swaddle to work. So I bought the swaddle-me thing that has Velcro and that worked really well for her for about a month. I didn't get children that love the long-term swaddle. My nephew was swaddled for almost 4 months. Like Kris said there are other moms here who are swaddle experts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Very child dependent. A was never swaddled and slept great from day 1. R was swaddled for a long time because he would hit himself in the face and wake himself up.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Child dependent. BabyK hated the velcro swaddle but loved being swaddled in a large flannel sheet. We swaddled for about 4 months.
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Completely child dependent. A hated swaddling, even as a newborn in the hospital when the experienced nurses did it for us. She's a good sleeper without it though.
              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Good to know. She doesn't mind the legs. But she will fight to get her arms out!!

Comment

Yep, some of mine loved swaddling, some didn't. If she doesn't startle herself awake, I don't see the need!

Comment

my daughter would squirm herself out of her swaddle and THEN fall asleep. She was just waiting to be born so she could stretch out and never wanted to be confined again! haha
                    -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

Ditto to what everyone says. Some babies love it so much that when they're 15 months old, they STILL need to be swaddled....
                      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                        Ditto to what everyone says. Some babies love it so much that when they're 15 months old, they STILL need to be swaddled....
                        I had a friend who's son loved being swaddled, it was sometime around his second birthday before he could sleep without it.

Sophie was funny because she always had to have her left hand up by her head when she slept. I am pretty sure that was her position in utero, because she came out hand first, then her head... It also explains why she never really engaged in my pelvis and was sunny side up.
                        Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                          Sophie was funny because she always had to have her left hand up by her head when she slept. I am pretty sure that was her position in utero, because she came out hand first, then her head... It also explains why she never really engaged in my pelvis and was sunny side up.
                          /hijack/ BabyK has been sleeping on his belly, folded over his legs, with his feet above his head. It looks like an almost impossible position. He was frank breech in utero for a long time (about 20 weeks). I've wondered if he sleeps this way because he positioned that way in utero.
                          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Working...
                          X