Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Bad mommy :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad mommy :(

R has eczema but we were never able to find an allergy so we figured it was infant and it would clear up on his own. Well...I'm pretty sure we found the allergy at Thanksgiving dinner. My Yummy Yams, which I've shared before on this site, have coconuts and pecans in them. I'm guessing it is one of those two things as he broke out in a bad rash all over his face and arm as he smothered himself in them. Luckily there didn't seem to be any respiratory issues so hopefully its mild.

That was fun!

Guess I'm calling the doctor on Monday.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Hopefully it will be something he will grow out of. Do you think they will do allergy testing on him at this age?
    Kris

Comment

All of my kids have had eczema of some sort ... either on the face, the hands or feet. Fortunately, they have grown out of it except Amanda. We have to apply lotion constantly to her hands in the winter or they end up cracking and bleeding. I don't know whether or not there is a relationship to allergies?

Kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

When I went to the derm for my postpartum eruption/rash thing, she told me that eczema is related to allergies and hay fever. It's all just different manifestations of an allergic response. And you can have different forms at different times.

Kris, there is website that links dairy to eczema. It isn't scientific but there are tons of anecdotal reports from random internet people. If I was bothered by it, I'd definitely try eliminating dairy for 8-12 weeks and see if there was a difference. Of course for me 8-12 weeks would mean a complete season change so would it be from the dairy or the cold? Only way to know would be to reintroduce dairy, and then try eliminating again before the cold starts.

Poor R!
        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Poor R! Don't blame yourself. I've cause K's flare-ups several times. DH is allergic to coconut. I'd put my money on that being the cause. Because if you're allergic to pecans, you can't eat pecan pie. And that would be tragic.
          Veronica
          Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

So I sent his ped an e-mail this morning and she has already responded. She wants us to test him for all tree nuts and coconut in a month and then go from there. We knew if it wasn't infant eczema that there was probably an allergy so it wasn't completely unexpected. So he gets no nuts or coconut for the next month until he can be tested.

Comment

You are such a good mom....and how awesome that your ped already responded!

Kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                Do you think they will do allergy testing on him at this age?
                We did allergy testing on DS around 18 mos. I have no idea if we were an exception though.

I think you're a great mommy! I hope the results will give you some straightforward answers.

Comment

We had the dude tested for everything when we got back from Russia- animals and foods. He was 13 months.

J.

Comment

DD #2 was four when we realized Almonds were a no no. At least for you it didn't include a trip to the ER. Kudos for paying attention!!! Lucky little boy!
                    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

We did the scratch test at 22 months too. They used his back. It's not a terrible thing- definitely best to know for sure! I think coconut and pecan should be relatively easy to avoid, so that's good...
                      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

So they called yesterday to schedule it and its a blood draw test so I'm not sure what that means. We'll do that on the 27th and see the doctor on the 29th. I realized today how diligent I'm going to have to be about what he eats for the next month because they don't want him to have any nuts other then peanut butter which he's had with no reaction.

Comment

They can test for all the allergens using a blood sample- It's probably easier to do with little babies. I know that when they tested Steven they only had room for 4 tests on his back- and two were the controls.
                          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
                          X