Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Fenugreek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenugreek

Anyone take this while nursing? Do u think it worked?

I took it while nursing Caleb and I do think it helped. Be prepared to smell like maple syrup, your skin, your sweat, your milk, everything. But the biggest thing is increasing your fluid in take.

I am guessing that AM is nursing a lot? It is pretty normal around 4 wks or so to see a spike in nursing. After a while, you will be able to tell the difference between nutritive nursing and comfort nursing. If she is suckling but not swallowing, then it is for comfort. This also increases your supply, so if you are concerned, let her suckle as much as she wants.
    Kris

Comment

Are you still pumping mostly? I wasn't sure if I missed some of the updates. Anyway, I took fenugreek, but I saw a much bigger increase when I took a supplement called More Milk Plus. This could have also corresponded with an increase in how much DD nursed, so maybe it was the nursing and not the supplement which upped my pumping output. But, I think the supplement helped.

Definitely make sure to drink lots of water, and I found that eating oatmeal helped too. And, it is true that comfort nursing can also help increase supply, so if you are still pumping, you could offer to nurse after finishing your pumping just to signal to your body to keep making more milk.

Feel free to PM me - I obviously can't help with the hands on stuff getting her to latch on, but I can try to help you navigate a lot of other things. My DD had a bit of a hard time latching on at first, so we had to pump and supplement for a little while. And, I did LOTS of research during this time to try to figure out what's "right" when it comes to nursing Good luck, you're doing great!
      Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

Still mainly pumping. Ugh.

Comment

I took it & it does help. Same experience as Kris.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
            I took it & it does help. Same experience as Kris.
            All good to know. But not looking forward to smelling like a pancake :-/

Comment

Did I tell you about the premie that took 5 months being home before learning to latch and breastfeed properly? I'm not saying you have to try that long. I'm only offering it as encouragement that it can take a while.

Fenugreek can definitely help. I used it for a few weeks when I went back to work w Daegan. There is also another herb that my sister used. I hadn't heard much about it. I keep meaning to ask my LLL group. It's called stratovaria. I think I spelled it right. I'll try to remember to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
                Did I tell you about the premie that took 5 months being home before learning to latch and breastfeed properly? I'm not saying you have to try that long. I'm only offering it as encouragement that it can take a while.

Fenugreek can definitely help. I used it for a few weeks when I went back to work w Daegan. There is also another herb that my sister used. I hadn't heard much about it. I keep meaning to ask my LLL group. It's called stratovaria. I think I spelled it right. I'll try to remember to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I cant remember if you did or not but that definitely makes me feel better. I have no plans of giving up anytime soon.

Comment

She may be nursing a lot to increase your supply, not because you arent giving her enough. Are you familiar with "cluster feeding"? It is often misunderstood and mothers think they arent producing enough milk. Talk to your local LLL group about it (or your LC).
                  Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I took Fenugreek and Z
                    Blessed Thistle when I worked and had to pump during the day. I think they helped.
                    Veronica
                    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Working...
                    X