Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

More Children?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Children?

Something I am currently really struggling with is that I really want another child. Since I stay at home and we live off of my husband's student loans, money is tight. Recently the laws were changed and you can no longer get a student loan increase for the health insurance premiums for your family. Since for me it alone is around $5,000 a year, it would be next to impossible to afford to pay for it on the already small loan amount we get. Does anyone else struggle with this, too or had a similar experience?

I feel like I can't get rid of the baby fever. I seriously think about it all. the. time. Those of you who had multiple children in med school and stayed home, how did you do it? (both emotionally and financially)

I have not been there/done that but there was a point that i had to pay for my own medical insurance after grad school...the local bar association offered really great rates for pretty decent health insurance (like $100/month). Have you tried looking at health insurance options through associations (AMA, AAA, etc.)?

Again, i havent looked, but sometimes it's worth joining an association for that savings...

Comment

Medicaid. You'll pay it back with taxes and in life later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
        Medicaid. You'll pay it back with taxes and in life later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        This is exactly what I said. My husband has issues with us using it though. Currently, I don't meet the requirements but our son does, and if I was pregnant I would. It just baffles my mind that someone who is going into health care cannot provide health care for his own family. Something is really wrong with our country's system.

Comment

Kelli, this may not be very helpful since you admit that you have baby fever, but you only have a couple more years to go before your husband is a resident. That's not THAT long, is it? Also, $5,000 per year seems insanely high to me. You might want to look into a high-deductible plan. If you do change plans, just be aware that some may have a waiting period for maternity coverage, if they even cover it at all.
          Cristina
          IM PGY-2

Comment

We were in the military system for med school and residency during kid #3 and 4. Before that my dh had very good insurance thru a county government job. It would have been very hard for me to put off the baby fever because of lack of funds to cover health insurance. I'm really sorry.
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I feel like I can't get rid of the baby fever. I seriously think about it all. the. time. Those of you who had multiple children in med school and stayed home, how did you do it? (both emotionally and financially)
              I'm right here with you Ideally we would have a child 4th year of med school, but I'm not opposed to one earlier, and really, neither is he. I am working full-time, though--there's the rub. It would be really hard to figure out childcare, etc. I've always wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, so it seems best to at least wait until residency when he has some income. It would be really hard to give up what we have now (very comfortable salary and amazing health insurance) to stay home, even though I'm not really all that attached to my job.

In a perfect world, I'll be able to stave off baby fever until 4th year, quit work to stay home, and supplement his resident's salary with a photography business or in-home childcare.

It has helped to focus on other goals, like my upcoming 1/2 marathon, to get "rid" of the baby fever.
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Also, $5,000 per year seems insanely high to me.
                FWIW, this is what my mom is paying for her + my siblings insurance and their deductible is $10,000. And she spent a few WEEKS shopping the cheapest plan. Non-subsidized insurance is just expensive.
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Oh, and $5k a year doesn't seem over the top. I remember our portion in dh's government plan was around $700 a month. It was about $1500 a month for the family- but a woman in childbearing years has got to be a huge part of that cost. And that was 8 years ago, so I can't see 5k per year as that much really.
                  Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

It's through the insurance plan through the med school. The spouse fee is highest and a dependent child is less (maybe because they assume the spouse is most often female therefore could possibly become pregnant?) My son is on my husband's insurance right now and it's $2500 a year for him. They also don't cover vaccines (which is ridiculous) so we have to take him to the health department to get those. I was on the plan the previous school year when we had my son but this year I got a fairly cheap plan with a super high deductible that basically only covers me if I were to be in a major accident.

Comment

We looked into this and the problem with most (if not ALL) high deductible plans is that they exclude maternity coverage. At least this was the case before the new health care reform, so it is worth another look. Honestly, just do the Medicaid or state-sponsored program. FWIW - I ended up getting a job with great health coverage so we were fine, although now I cannot stay home with our dd. We love our childcare center however, so we are comfortable for the moment.

Good luck. Do not despair!!

On a side note: I briefly glanced at your blog - is that a border collie?? (I LOVE border collies)
                      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Go with the Medicaid!!!! You will definitely pay it back later.
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by kelli417 View Post
                          It's through the insurance plan through the med school. The spouse fee is highest and a dependent child is less (maybe because they assume the spouse is most often female therefore could possibly become pregnant?) My son is on my husband's insurance right now and it's $2500 a year for him. They also don't cover vaccines (which is ridiculous) so we have to take him to the health department to get those. I was on the plan the previous school year when we had my son but this year I got a fairly cheap plan with a super high deductible that basically only covers me if I were to be in a major accident.
                          Vaccines for children are now completely covered under the new health care reform. See the following from http://www.healthcare.gov/news/facts...nization.html:

"Immunization Services for Children

Beginning September 23, 2010, children 0 through 18 years that are enrolled in new group or individual private health plans will be eligible to receive vaccines recommended by the ACIP prior to September 2009 without any cost-sharing requirements when provided by an in-network provider.

Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis
                          Haemophilus influenzae type b
                          Hepatitis A
                          Hepatitis B
                          Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus vaccine for females
                          Inactivated Poliovirus
                          Influenza
                          Measles, Mumps, Rubella
                          Meningococcal
                          Rotavirus
                          Varicella"
                          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                            Vaccines for children are now completely covered under the new health care reform. See the following from http://www.healthcare.gov/news/facts...nization.html:

"Immunization Services for Children

Beginning September 23, 2010, children 0 through 18 years that are enrolled in new group or individual private health plans will be eligible to receive vaccines recommended by the ACIP prior to September 2009 without any cost-sharing requirements when provided by an in-network provider.

Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis
                            Haemophilus influenzae type b
                            Hepatitis A
                            Hepatitis B
                            Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus vaccine for females
                            Inactivated Poliovirus
                            Influenza
                            Measles, Mumps, Rubella
                            Meningococcal
                            Rotavirus
                            Varicella"
                            I know, but I've actually looked into this and apparently it's only for NEW plans, not existing ones. I contacted the people in charge of the insurance at the med school and even my son's pediatrician inquired for us. It seems quite dumb that they'd rather cover the hospital costs associated with my child getting whooping cough rather than just paying for the vaccine to prevent it.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                              We looked into this and the problem with most (if not ALL) high deductible plans is that they exclude maternity coverage. At least this was the case before the new health care reform, so it is worth another look. Honestly, just do the Medicaid or state-sponsored program. FWIW - I ended up getting a job with great health coverage so we were fine, although now I cannot stay home with our dd. We love our childcare center however, so we are comfortable for the moment.

Good luck. Do not despair!!

On a side note: I briefly glanced at your blog - is that a border collie?? (I LOVE border collies)
                              An Australian Shepherd . She looks like a Border Collie though!

Comment

Working...
                              X