Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Funerals and 3 year olds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funerals and 3 year olds

DH's grandmother passed away last week and her services are Saturday. A has a photo of this grandmother is in her room because she is named after her and she knows it is her great Grandmother and that she lives in Kansas.

So the kids and I were already going to Kansas for Spring Break, we were supposed to leave Thursday. Now we are leaving Friday, DH is driving down with us and the services are Saturday. The kids and I will stay in Kansas, at my parents, for the week as we had planned and DH will fly back on Sunday.

We have not told A that she passed away, she has been in a nursing home for several years and I don't really even remember when A would have seen her last. When her husband passed away a few months ago the kids went to the rosary but did not go to the funeral. This time they will go to both the visitation and service because we don't have anywhere else to leave them. Luckily the funeral is family only so I'm not as worried about their behavior.

But anyway, my question is what would you tell her? Today she brought the picture out, out of the blue, and asked if we were going to see her while we were in Kansas. REALLY??? I really didn't know what to say and talked more about who was in the picture then answering the question.

Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Just give her as much info as you think she can handle because toddlers don't understand death. When my mom's cat died (DD1 was about 4), she asked when Little Girl would be coming back. When I explained that once something dies it doesn't come back, she responded with, "But Jesus did."

That's kinda part of why people think he's a big deal, kiddo. Sigh. Kids typically don't get it.

Comment

Unfortunately skipping the funeral isn't an option because I don't have anyone to watch the kids and I want to go. I'm hoping she'll just think its a regular Sunday mass.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

My first thought is has she seen "The Lion King". She may be too young to understand the circle of life but it can be explained in a way to have a positive experience. People and animals are born into this world and when they leave this world they die and go to a better place where their spirit lives on and watches over us.
        PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

She will do fine, children have an amazing capacity to understand this stuff better than we do sometimes. Children of all ages were at my dad's funeral this summer as well as at the viewing. The grandchildren all placed special items in dad's casket before it was closed. In the end you will know what A can handle and what she can't. Children provide a beautiful witness to the circle of life when they are at funerals, I find it is very comforting to the adults to have children there. I am so sorry for your loss
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Sorry about your loss. If I can help while you are here, please call. I'd offer to watch your kids but I don't know my plans that fer out yet. Sort of moment by moment until I get back from FL.
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Sorry for your loss! I agree with Pollyanna - she'll be fine. You may want to think of some scenarios in advance and have an explanation ready that she'll understand - like why are people crying? What is that box (the casket)? What is a cemetary?

When Lilly died, it helped Sam and I to have these explanations ready. We called the casket "Lilly's special box" where we placed some of her favorite things and the cemetary was "a special park" where we could go to remember her and leave flowers for her to see from Heaven.
              Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Working...
              X