Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Baby books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm taking the cafeteria approach as well. There's something to be said for it all.

I've read Babywise and I will say that for an OLDER child (9 months+), I agree somewhat with the premise that the world does not revolve solely around you - as in, I will not respond immediately to your every noise/need immediately at age 2 like I would for an infant. I've actually spoken at length with several church/prayer mentors of mine and they relayed their personal feelings that after a certain age, it does not really jive with our faith that the world revolves around you (again, older than infancy). These are real Titus 2 women with wonderful relationships with their children so I have given some serious thought to that opinion.

Dr. Sears seems to be definitely in alignment with our current feelings on infant care (although I'll let you know what I think when baby arrives). I will say, however, that Dr. Sears is a proponent for delayed vaccinations for which I personally believe there is little to no evidence (my own opinion, not to start a debate).

So, like I said...my plan is whatever jives with my/my baby's lives at the developmental stage where they are is good for me!!!
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

There are many Dr. Sears books, is there a certain one to start with?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
      Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

The Baby Book is a great place to start. I have read that thing cover to cover many times. Penelope Leech (or Leach) "Your Baby and Child" is another must have. Both of these books are like having a parent or grandparent helping you through parenting. They are not new age, they are good calming and reassuring advice (that I needed even after baby #5, lol).
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I'm reading the vaccine book right now and really like it. I read a journal article slamming the book to get the "other side" and it was really weird...like the author hadn't read the book at all or purposely tried to misrepresent what Dr. Sears was saying.

There is a pregtastic podcast with Dr Sears as a guest that is a good overview of what the book and his beliefs are about. That's how I heard about the book.

For all the preggos, I really liked te pregtastic podcasts. They provided a pretty balanced view on a lot of touchy birth and baby subjects and were great for commutes and car trips.
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Almost every one of my friends uses and loves at least some parts of Babywise, and I think you can track down a post I started about it that has some really great opinions and experiences. My son didn't take to it at all, but I did get into the habit of feeding him right after he woke up from his naps and in the mornings. I do this with DD, too. Of course, both of them add(ed) feedings in between, so it definitely wasn't a strict eat, play, sleep schedule. It made it super easy to stop nursing to sleep at night - DS stopped wanting to on his own.

I also agree that setting a schedule for older kids is important. If I didn't tell him it was time to stop and eat or nap, DS would just keep playing all day.

Laurie
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I guess my issue with Babywise is that people recommend it, but of you really question them it turns out they used pieces here and there and skipped some of the more radical parts. I have no problem with some of the ideas, though I'm not sure they are really ideas original to the Ezzos and I wouldn't necessarily call that "doing Babywise."

The issue is when you get someone who gets overly concerned with following the rules and does something harmful because it was recommended to them and their friend's babies were fine.
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

That's a really good point, ST. My original post about it was basically because I read it an was thinking "how can I do this to my baby???" Some of it is downright cruel!

Laurie
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Yeah, don't get me wrong! I'm not anti schedule and have no problem CIO a little after 1 year. But heck, even in Child Development last year on med school DH was taught that babies in extended CIO situations don't stop crying because they learn to self soothe at that young of an age, they stop because they realize it is hopeless and give up.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                    Yeah, don't get me wrong! I'm not anti schedule and have no problem CIO a little after 1 year. But heck, even in Child Development last year on med school DH was taught that babies in extended CIO situations don't stop crying because they learn to self soothe at that young of an age, they stop because they realize it is hopeless and give up.
                    Cry It Out: The Method that Kills Baby Brain Cells. Don't be turned off, the article is actually kind of funny. It references this recent blog for Psychology Today: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...-crying-it-out
                    Alison

Comment

Cool article...didn't know about the history of it. Haha and they plug the Science of Parenting book at the end

Comment

I have split off the delayed vaccination discussion and created a new thread in the Debates forum as suggested.
                        Last edited by scrub-jay; 12-29-2011, 05:40 PM.
                        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Bringing us all back to the topic at hand, I'm still a firm believer in Penelope Leach and Good Night, Sleep Tight. Penelope Leach has a new edition out (2010 maybe?) and I find her advice very common sense. Like any advice though, I really do pick and choose from various techniques to build my own parenting style. Each child is different from another and I've had the best luck running with what works on my kid. Things I was SURE would work did nothing (*cough* swaddling) and things I thought held no value were invaluable (sleep sheep). So...I keep reading various books and finding out what works for my kiddo.
                          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

What do we (I use the royal iMSN we here) about Happiest Baby on the Block?

I got the DVDs from the library and it seemed almost too easy...
                            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Does anyone else remember the Penelope Leach TV show? I used to watch it even before I had kiddos
                              Tara
                              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                                What do we (I use the royal iMSN we here) about Happiest Baby on the Block?
                                Great tool to have in the toolbox. Definitely recommend!
                                Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Working...
                                X