Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Preschool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preschool

How soon did you put your child in preschool, if ever? I feel like DD isn't getting enough interaction with other kids her age. I'm busting my tail to get to play groups, story time, toddler yoga class, etc. It just doesn't seem to really give her the structer of a little biginers class. Most of the preschools around here (non day care setting) are limited when it comes to 1 year olds. We toured a pre school today and they have a 'leapers' class. It's a step above mothers day out and a younger class than 'Two Year olds' pre school class. DD will be one of the older kids in the class because of the early November birthday. Oh well.

All my friends back home (family included) react as thought it's too soon. DH was even shocked I was even thinking about it. If I feel like it's going to help, I just need to forge ahead, right?
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Wait, how old is your little one again? The youngest we ever started preschool was 2.5 years old. If she is only one I am not sure what you are looking to get out of a preschool class?
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

It's starts in the fall and she'll be one yrs old turning two in November. It's two days a week only mornings.
      Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
      "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I think if you're looking at it for more of a socialization thing it would be fine. A started preschool this past fall when she was 2 years 9 months. Before that she had been in regular childcare situations when I was in a morning bible study or at my morning MOPS group which worked out to about twice a week for about 2 1/2 hours and I was in the building but not with her, she'd been doing that since she was about six months old.

Most things around here are mommy and me type situations until they are 2 years 9 months or 3. I was also told it was early because she'll do 3 years of preschool because of her birthday but I wasn't going for the academic setting, more of the play based setting so I wasn't concerned about her being burnt out by kindergarten.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I think what you're planning for her sounds perfect. That's how my oldest two started. They had a great time - crafts, stories, songs, playing outside. I think she would love it.

Comment

My DDs all did MDO at 18 months, once a week. It is pretty common around here. Many kids wait until 3 yr to start preschool, but almost all offer them starting at one year or 18 months. My girls loved it and I got a little break.
            Needs

Comment

Most preschools here start at 2.5. Dd turns 2 on 9/1, so she can't start until the following fall. I'm happy to have her home with me until the following year when she's 3, but she does need to go somewhere or else she goes stir crazy in our small house. One of her first words was "oussshide" (outside).

I honestly don't think toddlers need the socialization at this age. They parallel play and pretty much pay zero attention to anyone else except you anyway... But the leap thing sounds like a great program for little ones before preschool starts in earnest.

Also, don't listen to other people--everyone has an opinion, but you know what's best for your daughter!!!!
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Alison, I agree that most toddlers don't really socialize, as in make friends etc. What they do get out of a pre-school or daycare is the ability to follow rules when there are loads of temptations around. With Sophie in daycare in the mornings, I find that she is much more compliant about putting toys away and helping with small things. She has FINALLY shown an interest in potty training, something that just wasn't on her radar before she began.
                Kris

Comment

Oooh, I agree! Dd is definitely on her best behavior when she's in class (a two-hour long parent-child class). She listens, has learned songs, and she picks up on a lot of the things that the older kids do. It has been great for her--if only she'd eat the da** snack they offer instead of giving her food away!

My dd takes after my husband. Kids dump entire tubs of toys on the floor and dd cleans up after them! She would never dump her toys like that, and she always looks stunned when it happens and kids scamper off to do something else. It's so interesting to see how the personalities really start to come out when they are in an environment that allows them to try new things out and test their comfort level.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Maybe Miss M should come teach Sophie a few things! S is happy to gaze contentedly at all of her belongings strewn around her, like she is surveying her domain.
                    Kris

Comment

At 2 I started O in a once a week two hour gentle separation playgroup. I stayed for the first two classes but it was mostly for me. It's very structured and it took him quite a while until he followed the program completely. He loves it. Proper preschool doesn't begin until 3 years here.
                      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I agree that kids start socializing around the age of 3. The MDO programs are more for the mom. My kids liked going to "school" at 18 months. DD3 is in a 3 year old class eventhough she is 4.5 because of when her birthdate falls. Her little group of friends are constantly planning playdates. One little girl asks me everyday, "Do you know my street number? 4375. What is your street number so I can play with DD3?"
                        Needs

Comment

I definitely remember complaining to my mom that there wasn't enough structured stuff for12-24 month olds. In our case my trouble was finding it free/low cost and within walking distance of our apartment. What I hoped to get out of it at that time was "a change of scenery" for Cora during the day, time away from me, and although it was just parallel play, she really seemed to like being around other kids. Instead, we did a hodgepodge of stuff like you are.

I would have loved to have her in pre-school a few mornings a week this past fall, at almost-3-years-old, but we're still broke and instead did a one-day-a-week class that's low-cost through the state of MN. (Wish we had that in IL! Another big wet kiss from me to MN right there.) I don't see anything wrong with three years of pre-school, as long as what they're doing is age-appropriate for each year.

Cora loves going to "school," so we're doing real preschool next year come hell or high water, and she'll do two years of pre-school before kindergarten.

Good luck finding what's right for your family.
                          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I'm not sure how old the kids were, honestly! DS had a nanny his first year, then began attending daycare. The girls have always been in daycare. I guess at some point it morphs into "nursery school"? They certainly teach the basics--colors, numbers, letters, etc., focus on proper gross and fine motor skills, age-appropriate socialization, etc.

I would consider sending her--even if it is only a day or two a week.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the daycare/nursery school my girls are in (which DS attended before kindergarten). Unfortunately, it costs a pants-load, but it is really high-quality. It is the facility associated with the Children's hospital here. Even if I was a SAHM, I would STILL send the girls, part-time. They just do that good a job. My kids are exceedingly well-socialized for their ages. They know how to handle separation from me; they know how to get along in a group; they know how to relate to other children; they know how to take instruction from other adults. I credit it completely to the school.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                              I'm not sure how old the kids were, honestly! DS had a nanny his first year, then began attending daycare. The girls have always been in daycare. I guess at some point it morphs into "nursery school"? They certainly teach the basics--colors, numbers, letters, etc., focus on proper gross and fine motor skills, age-appropriate socialization, etc.

I would consider sending her--even if it is only a day or two a week.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the daycare/nursery school my girls are in (which DS attended before kindergarten). Unfortunately, it costs a pants-load, but it is really high-quality. It is the facility associated with the Children's hospital here. Even if I was a SAHM, I would STILL send the girls, part-time. They just do that good a job. My kids are exceedingly well-socialized for their ages. They know how to handle separation from me; they know how to get along in a group; they know how to relate to other children; they know how to take instruction from other adults. I credit it completely to the school.
                              I'm with GMW here. I love what daycare/nursery school has done for my daughter. And I have to disagree about making friends. My dd knows who her "friends" are and they follow each other around babbling, they sit and talk, they share toys...it is adorable! But, she's been there since she was 12 weeks or so and moved rooms with these children. I pay a painful amount, but she loves it there. In a perfect world, I could work PT and stay home with her a few days a week and send her there the rest. If you find a good program that doesn't give you the heebie-jeebies... do it.
                              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X