Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Baby Sign Language?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Sign Language?

So, apparently, BabyK is learning sign language at day care. (He still goes about 3 days weekly.) A couple days ago, he began signing "more" at dinner while pressing his lips together. This is great. However, the day care didn't tell us that this was part of the curriculum and we don't know sign language. It's sort of counter-productive if they are teaching him to sign as a means of communication and he cannot communicate with us. He refuses to speak when he signs.

I asked one of the teachers about it when I picked him up the other day and she enthusiastically showed me a couple of the signs he's learned. Also fine except she was instructing him to "say please" and then to sign please in lieu of speaking the actual word. He is talking quite a bit and when we ask him to "say please" we expect him to speak the word "please", not sign. She says that they never told the children that they cannot speak while signing.

So, now I'm watching baby sign language videos on YouTube to figure out what our toddler is trying to tell us. He's transfixed by the videos, by the way. He does a sign where he rotates one fist around the other. DrK and I thought he was initiating a round of "The Wheels on the Bus" but now I wonder if he's been trying to tell us something and we are iditocally singing songs to him. Anyone know what that sign means?

We're going to talk to the teachers -- ask them to fill us in. I hate to be upset about this because I don't want to come across as one of those parents who doesn't want her kid to learn things she doesn't know. It really shouldn't be controversal except that now I'm having trouble understanding him. Thoughts?
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

I'd be frustrated, too, but it will also be neat to have him know the signs once you learn them. I totally dropped the ball teaching DS to sign, but I've been really lucky, and he's learning words really quickly.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Our dd knows sign and it is really helpful. My best friend who teaches sign to normal and hard of hearing kids is on the plane heading my way now, I'll ask her when she gets here. Generally, even the most sign-savvy kids start talking early, it might just be new and fun for babyK. Baby's don't always do a sign perfectly, but i think he might be asking for a change. I'll still check with the expert when she gets here.
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I think baby sign language is great.
        however
        When A was learning to talk, she had a speech therapist because she has a giant tongue because of her genetic syndrome. The ST kept teaching her signs for words that she was just learning and I felt like it hindered her learning of the words. It kind of drove me crazy when she would be trying to say please and then the ST would teach her the sign for please and she would stop trying to say it. I just had to encourage her to speak the word as she signs it.

Could he be signing milk? It looks kind of like milking a cow? They taught A to do it like this http://babystrology.blogspot.com/200...uage-milk.html except with two hands.
        -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

That is also the sign for milk that I used with my kids. I only used a handful of signs with A and felt like she may have talked a little later because of it but not much and at 3 1/2 she has a full vocabulary. R doesn't really do it as much and that is my fault but I do feel like he's talking more then A was at his age.

I think you need to ask questions, its not like an elementary school teaching a kid a language you don't know because at that age they already speak english and can communicate with you. If he can communicate with his teachers and then not communicate with you its only going to frustrate him and you as it already is. If the school wants to teach it that is great but they should have some sort of hand out for the parents so that you know what he's doing.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I love baby sign language and have signed with all three kids. However, with my third who is slightly language delayed, signing does inhibit spoken communication a bit. Why should he force himself to verbalize when he can get milk or eat with a sign.

One of the coolest uses of sign language was at DS1's preschool Spanish class in Minneapolis. The teacher would sign and teach the word in Spanish simultaneously to engage the visual, kinestic, and auditory learners in the class.

Even well beyond the baby stage, I will sign "no" or "please" or "thank you" to silently prompt my kids to do something. It also comes in handy when you are wake boarding and you want to signal "all done" or "more" to the boat driver.
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I took several ASL classes in college. I can't think of any sign you are Talking about that a little one would use. I would think wheels on the bus too. I too would be upset over not knowing...seems counter-productive for them to not tell you. I would ask for a list of all the signs they have learned and will be learning so you and DrK can learn too.

Comment

It sounds to me like the sign for "sign". He probably saw it in the theme song for "Signing Time".
                Alison

Comment

How about this one? He loops the thumb and forefinger of each hand like an O.K. sign, hooks the loops together, and rocks his hands back and forth? He repeatedly brought me a book and made this sign. He's very careful to make sure that I see him signing. I'd guess from the context that he's asking me to read the book. Am I stupid?

Comment

Well I know that isn't book, read maybe? If you google baby sign language on the images tab, not the web, you get lots of graphics that have the basics.

Or there is this site with suggestions: http://welcomebabyuc.blogspot.com/20...-for-free.html
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                      Baby's don't always do a sign perfectly, but i think he might be asking for a change. I'll still check with the expert when she gets here.
                      From the YouTube videos I've seen so far, it looks the most like "change" . . . could be Wheels on the Bus. Funny thing is, he knows how to say "diaper". When he's wet, he usually grabs the front of his diaper or leads one of us to the changing table. If he is attempting to sign a request for a diaper change, I think he was communicating better before he learned the sign.

Originally posted by Zoe View Post
                      Could he be signing milk? It looks kind of like milking a cow? They taught A to do it like this http://babystrology.blogspot.com/200...uage-milk.html except with two hands.
                      I don't think so. The sign does not look like that. And he says "milk" all the time. It was one of his first words.

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                      I think you need to ask questions, its not like an elementary school teaching a kid a language you don't know because at that age they already speak english and can communicate with you. If he can communicate with his teachers and then not communicate with you its only going to frustrate him and you as it already is. If the school wants to teach it that is great but they should have some sort of hand out for the parents so that you know what he's doing.
                      I have the exact same thought. We need them to teach us what they taught him.

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                      It sounds to me like the sign for "sign". He probably saw it in the theme song for "Signing Time".
                      I doubt it. He doesn't watch "signing time" at home and they don't have TV at school.

Comment

It's not read. I'm not sure what the linked okay signs mean. Is it the "Signing Time" series? With Rachel Coleman? I have most of the first series and D really loved them. K wasn't interested but my nephew Z is signing a ton now.

Ooh. Maybe he's trying to sign "family". It kinda looks like two okay signs that touch at the top and then separate to circle and touch at the bottom.
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Okay, asked my friend and she said that rotating one fist around another is probably asking for fruit. She says that many fruits deviate on that pattern, including: avocado, apricot, plum, mango, etc. Alternatively it could be planet or world, but for his age, she suspects fruit (apricot doesn't have any finger movements). Let me know if you have any questions for her.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                            How about this one? He loops the thumb and forefinger of each hand like an O.K. sign, hooks the loops together, and rocks his hands back and forth? He repeatedly brought me a book and made this sign. He's very careful to make sure that I see him signing. I'd guess from the context that he's asking me to read the book. Am I stupid?
                            She says that means "story" (100% sure).

Comment

Goodness! Medspouses really do know everything! Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X