Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sippe Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sippe Cup

Any advice on teaching the little one how to use it? Recommended brands? I have heard that you shouldn't put formula in there??!?! Any and all advice appreciatied

No advice on brands, tupperware was about the only choice when mine were little (and they did not have the one way spillproof valves), BUT we discovered that when you don't need them anymore, they make great martini mixers/strainers!!!!
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

We use straw cups around here. We'd heard that it promoted natural oral development. We use playtex and I cut the valves out.
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I don't know the brand but the ones with the soft spout - just put some water in it and let her play with it, she'll eventually figure it out and then you can put other things in it.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

After trying a few brands these Playtex are the ones that stuck for us for a first sippy. We use them with the valves in. Like Cheri, we start with water and let them play with it and bat it around the high chair tray for a while, maybe tip it up for them if they start mouthing the spout.
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

We started out with Nuby. They have a soft spout, and the liquid comes through when they bite sown on it, so they don't have to suck really hard. DS could never get the hang of tilting it up high enough, though, so we'd have to do it for him. When he got to where he could use a straw, we switched to the Playtex ones, and we love them!
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Tilty cups were fantastic too.

Comment

Hijack - any tips on using a straw?
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

For the straw: We gave it to dd with water a few times and she figured it out and we were able to put soy milk in it shortly after.

Comment

DS just started doing it on his own. We didn't think he could, but he seemed really interested in our water glass at a restaurant, so we let him try it, and he thought it was hilarious.
                    Laurie

Comment

I don't remember having to teach Adele how to use a straw and with R we were out one day and I realized I had forgotten his sippy cup so his only option was a straw. He took to it like he'd always been doing it, I was shocked. He was probably about 18 months at the time.
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

BabyK (20 months) puts the straw in his mouth but that's about it.
                        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

One of my friends said she taught her son by starting out dribbling some into his mouth by holding her finger over the other end of the straw. Then once he got the idea that he could drink from it, she moved on to a very full cup, so he didn't have to suck much to get a drink. I think she used sweet tea for incentive.
                          Laurie

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                            BabyK (20 months) puts the straw in his mouth but that's about it.
                            Valves can make it tougher...I cut ours out.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                              One of my friends said she taught her son by starting out dribbling some into his mouth by holding her finger over the other end of the straw. Then once he got the idea that he could drink from it, she moved on to a very full cup, so he didn't have to suck much to get a drink. I think she used sweet tea for incentive.
                              That's how I taught my kids when they were about 7-9 months.
                              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Working...
                              X