Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cloth Diapering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloth Diapering?

Cloth diapering is something I don't know much about but would be interested in doing (in theory) but wont because:

A. Our washing machine sucks
    B. As I'm going back to work and don't feel comfortable asking any potential caregiver to deal with that (you can breathe a sigh of relief now, Vgirl )

But, I am interested in the "hybrids"--a cloth shell with a biodegradable, disposable insert. Gdiapers are the ones I have found so far:

http://www.gdiapers.com/

The cost of the disposable inserts seems comparable to regular diapers (based on what I've seen on Amazon.com--I plan on subscribing to Amazon Mom for diapers), but there is the added cost of the shells. On the upside, they are cuter than diapers. On the downside, I'm not sure if they will be a total PITA to use and cost us money like crazy as she grows.

Any insight?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

small voice: We use bum genius and our daycare providers actually love them... no blowouts, no leaking, they just toss them in a can that we've lined with a washable liner. *all done* I've never actually used gdiapers, so I cant really comment on them. Sorry!!
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I also haven't used Gdiapers. I was under the impression that they were cheaper, but I haven't priced them. Maybe check BRU or Diapers.com?

Also, keep in mind that you may be able to reuse the covers for future kids, so that cost will be offset some. (Unless you succumb to the temptation to buy new covers. They're just so stinkin' cute!)
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Don't feel bad Crystal! I just know it is likely we'll be going with an in-home care provider and I just don't want to deal with the logistics or ask someone else to in their own home unless they specifically were okay with it.

And then there is the whole washing machine sucking thing...
        And I just mentioned them to DH and he turned white!

I'm assuming it is pretty common in daycares.

Anyone used any other alternatives? I'm not stuck on gDiapers. Or really anything. Brave new world for me.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

We do prefolds, so I'm no help... DH was skeptical at first, too, but after changing a couple, he was just fine with them.
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

We've used a variety of cloth diapers but never gdiapers. They are totally easy but the fact that you don't have a good washing machine would make it a no go for me.
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I think our washing machine is sucky too... but it has been a trooper for the cloth diapers. I would have thought you would have to wash the g-diaper covers? I know even when we did prefolds (thank you Kris...) when A was a newborn, we washed the covers too. I can't stress how do-able cloth diapering was though... but its okay if I can't convince you. I'll just have to show you, which means we'll have to get together while my dd is still in diapers.

Comment

I hang with enough CDing moms that I'd be fine with it!
                Veronica
                Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

It just seems like it would be easy to wash a few cloth covers that don't get too dirty vs. full on poop and urine soaked inserts. Maybe not? I don't know.

I also don't want to increase the amount of laundry I do too much...what would fit in 1 load in parent's standard-size washer takes 2-3 in our tiny machine. And I often have to rewash things because it doesn't clean so well. It's an old $150 craigslist stacked/compact combo from the "hood." I have to do 1-2 loads a day to keep up now without baby clothes! The last time we went to Home Depot, I spent a few minutes drooling over the extra-large capacity shiny new ones. Someday!

Comment

Okay, if you have to rewash clothes and it's that small I am going to say skip the cloth diapers for now. There will be other babies to try it with. Adding a new baby to your life is enough of a challenge I wouldn't want to worry about getting the diapers clean. With our front loader I would do a prewash, long wash cycle, and two rinses. I don't get the feeling that would be doable for you. Don't worry about the Gdiapers, embrace the Huggies and work in cloth diapers later.
                    Tara
                    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Look into a diaper service if you want to still consider the cloth route. You may be surprised that a home daycare might like the fact you are doing cloth. It's less trash for them and you'll remove the "poo" daily instead of those diapers filling their home trash cans. You never know.

But as for g-diapers, I knew two people who tried them and both said they needed to keep a stick near the toilet to swirl and break apart the liner before flushing and it would still sometimes clog the toilet. Neither stuck with them.
                      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

We did a diaper service with DD1 and it was REALLY nice to let someone else deal with it all. Wasn't terribly spendy, but that was also 16 years ago...

Comment

With the details on your washer...I agree skip them or go diaper service. We do a prewash, hot wash and rinse for every load. When A gets a rare bout of diaper rash, we have had the best luck with 7th generation diapers. Huggies are our second favorite. I recommend choosing your favorite brand once she's here, every diaper will fit a little differently. For example, dd blows out of pampers everytime she's worn one... Just my 2 cents.

Comment

For those who cloth diaper, did you do 'sposies at all when they were newborns? From everything I've read, it's really hit or miss on whether many cloth diapers will fit a newborn. I'm thinking we'll go disposable early on before switching to cloth after 10ish lbs.
                            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

T&S - we couldn't use our bum genius until our dd had gained a few pounds, but we used preemie/nb prefolds, they worked better than disposables. I think we used newborn disposables for the few days before her cord stump fell off bc they're cut to not interfere.

Comment

Working...
                              X