Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Childproofing a fireplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childproofing a fireplace

Our fireplace in Roch had a fan in it and the actual fireplace rarely got hot. We turned the one on in our rental last night and it gets SUPER hot, like barely touch it and burn off your finger hot!

Anyone have any suggestions for childproofing it???
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

What's the set up? Brink all around it, tile, is it one of those two sided fireplaces?
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

???

Comment

No its not two sided, just built into the wall. Tile all around it. The mantel above it is about 4 1/2' off of the ground.

Comment

is the tile getting hot, or just the black part around it?
          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Honestly, you might have to invest in a metal baby gate that has 3 sides/connects to create a no-go zone around the fireplace...or keep it perpetually off. :'(
            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

The glass/plastic and the black part - the tile is fine both on the wall and the floor. I'm not sure keeping it off is going to be an option this winter, the heater in this house seems to SUCK!

I can buy a fireplace screen, we bought one in Roch (wish we had taken it with us), but I don't see anything to connect it to so it would be freestanding and they would just pull it over. Same with a babygate, I fear...

Comment

I was thinking something like this: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...mSource=Search

Obviously expensive, but if it is your only source of heat, maybe you could resell it?
                Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Ours looks almost exactly the same as yours. Have your kids tried to touch it?
                  I keep ours off when M is around, but even when she has seen it on, she will not go dangerously near it because she says it's hot.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

We have the same fireplace. I didn't even light the pilot light because I figured it would be impossible to keep BabyK away. Even now, he occassionally goes over to kick the glass or rattle it. The fireplace was a real attraction for him at our former rental and it even required climbing for him to access it.
                    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

We did the tri-fold on our fireplaces and it worked well for us. They knew it got super hot when it was on and were never remotely interested in touching it. The screen itself got hot enough to deter them from wanting to touch it, let alone pull it down to get to the actual fireplace.

Comment

A good friend of mine had one of these and got nervous around her crawling baby and turned it off, because the baby was drawn to it. Even after she turned it off he snuck over and put a hand on the hot glass resulting in a very bad burn and, 2 surgeries, it was awful. So I just wanted to throw out there whatever sort of baby proofing you do, if it is removable be sure to leave it until the glass is totally cool. Probably self explanatory, but had to throw it out there just in case.

Comment

Working...
                        X