Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Am I crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I crazy?

To be thinking about taking R out of his crib when he hasn't tried to climb out of it? He'll be 2 in 11 days. We have the toddler bed sitting in the garage waiting for someone to use it. He's a great sleeper when you lay him down at both bed and nap he just rolls over and goes to sleep. Once in a while he wakes up in the middle of the night usually because he has dropped his binky (Kind of like a pacifier but not really, long story, anyway) and can't get to it himself.

We are going home for Thanksgiving and Christmas, both places he will be sharing a room with his sister and/or cousin. If we don't transition him out of his crib he'll sleep in a pack n' play at both places, still in the same room.

Its either all or nothing because the crib is going to have to be taken apart to get it out of his room and once we do that we're not putting it back together. I don't know what to do, I'm just kind of done with the crib...
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

One word: yes. Lol
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

DD17 was out of her crib at 18 months, DS11 was just shy of two, and DD9 was about 30 months. If you think he's ready then go for it, especially if he is a climber. The other option would be to buy a crib tent so he doesn't hurt himself climbing out of his crib.

ETA: just reread your post that says he has not tried to climb out. In that case then yes, it would be crazy. Don't rock the boat if he is sleeping well. Sorry.
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Yup. I'm all about confinement. BabyK (22 months) climbed out of the crib last night and I'm frantic. I was hoping he'd stay ther until grade school!
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Yep, I don't move my kids out of the crib until I absolutely have to (ie, when a new baby has come along!). I like that they're contained and I know exactly where they are and what they're doing!
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I'll be the crazy naysayer... We just switched DS (19 months), and it was just fine. Who knows what any other child would be like - this is my only experience with it. We started about a week before the switch using an OK To Wake alarm clock, and he handled that great. We also got a video monitor so we could make sure he's staying in bed. I've watched him in the mornings, and he'll wake up a couple minutes before the alarm turns green, but he stays in bed. As soon as it lights up, he'll run across the room and get the clock, then he'll knock on the door. It's super cute!
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

My first and second babies were 3 when I took them out. I only did this to allow them access to the potty near the bed. Otherwise they might still be in the crib. The third started climbing out at 18 months and was scaling in and out of the crib daily by two.

Now I lock him in his room. It sounds cruel, but really, it is for safety. He'll run out into the street or go climb onto the kitchen counter and get into the knives or turn the burners on.
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Took DD#2 out of her crib at 16 months. Didn't have to, other than I didn't a crib in the dining room when I was showing the condo for sale!

She's doing just fine now. Confused the first couple of nights, wandering around the room, exhausted, overwhelmed and inspired by the freedom. I ignored her and she ended up falling asleep on the floor. Then I'd move her to the bed. Slowly, over a couple of weeks, she got the hang of it.

Comment

Adele was out of hers at 20 months and R was born at 22 months so we needed the crib. We don't need the crib this time I just thought maybe he was ready.

But you do have a point, I read somewhere that you should take them out when they try to climb out of when they're 36" tall, so I guess we'll wait a little longer.

Comment

We don't rock the boat when it comes to sleeping in our house! 8 )

DD3 is 18 months and she'll be in her crib until she try to climb out or gets too tall. Or goes to college. 8 )
                    Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

I think we're going to get one of the stoplight clocks and try to train him on that first and then decide when to move him out. ALL WEEK he's been waking up at 6am and standing in his crib calling "mama, mom, mama" which wakes up the whole house. This morning I put him and A in his room, closed the door and went back to bed. That is one reason I've though about moving him out because then at least he would be able to get out of his bed himself.

Its not even daylight savings yet - oy vey!

Comment

Working...
                      X