Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Yet another eating question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another eating question

DD is a somewhat picky eater but she loves soy rice pudding and tapioca pudding. Can she have those every day? For now she only gets 4 a week. The nutritional labels look good (much less sugar than yogurt). I just want to make sure there isn't something in soy or tapioca that isn't all that great for kids.

Tapioca should be fine. It's used as a thickener in just about everything and is often a substitute for gluten-based thickeners. I try to avoid soy because of a wonky thryroid (soy is not rec'd for hypothyroidism), but I don't know if a healthy kiddo would have any problems.

Comment

Healthy kids should have no problem with soy, our dd drinks it exclusively (dairy allergy) and there is no problem. Our ped and ped allergist agreed there was really no risk for her. It can lead to constipation in some kids, but just keep her fiber/liquid consumption up if it becomes a problem. I honestly don't think you dd would be getting enough soy for it to be a problem.
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Thanks, we're not seeing our ped until Feb and I didn't think this warranted a call to the office.

Comment

I don't see a problem with soy and tapioca.
          When we started dd on soy formula (thinking she had a lactose sensitivity or intolerance), we were told to try sensitive formulas first, because babies should still be given the chance to break down the lactose. ??? I can't remember anymore... I think that's what our pediatrician said. It sounds like your daughter eats plenty of other stuff in addition to rice pudding and tapioca pudding.

She'll be fine!
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Although, I don’t find any problem in giving that every day, but don’t you think your kid will get bored if he/she gets the same food each day. I mean kids withdraw from eatables which are given repeatedly to them. I guess you can feed them with soy and tapioca every alternate day or say in gaps.

Comment

There are a number of foods that she will eat everyday or even several times a day but won't touch anything else. She's not an adventurous eater.

Comment

Mine all have go through phases...for a month I don't think Kai ate anything other than yogurt and bananas.

I just keep offering a variety, I make sure they see me eat a variety of foods and they eventually try something new.

I've never had a ped comment on my kids size or health until Phe's 1y when she was "small" but healthy. And his comment was we will see her in a few months.
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
                X