Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Kid Holiday Gift Giving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kid Holiday Gift Giving

What do you do for the holidays for your kids? Do you go crazy and buy everything in sight? Limit gift giving to a specific number (1 big gift, a few little gifts)? Do you allow for a free-for-all in opening gifts or pace it out?

We celebrate Christmas, but would love to hear any and all ideas, as this applies to birthdays too!
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

We have two, a 2 year old (R) and a 4 year old (A). R's birthday is 11/11 and A's birthday is 12/27. They are the only grandchildren on DH's side and two of only 5 on the other side therefore they are SPOILED rotten at the holidays with gifts. So they get ONE from us. Maybe next year when A is 5 we'll start increasing hers but right now they don't recognize who they're from and heaven knows our funds are tight. We also only do one at birthdays.

As for opening we usually sort them out and then sit in a circle and each person opens one until we're done. It takes time and its hard for the kids but they have done really well the last few years.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

O is our only and recently turned three. I try to keep the gifts limited, Dh likes to give more so I have to reign him in a bit. That said O probably gets about 8 -10 gifts. Usually one of them is big. Last year his big gift was a scooter. This year its an art easle & Melissa & Doug toy castle (if grandma & grandpa will agree to get it). Then some smaller things. We don't have an opening gift system yet. Growing up in my family we each took a turn opening gifts. Seeing O has way more than us we will probably take turns then let him open the rest.
      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

This is what I'm struggling with. So far, I've gotten them about three gifts each, but DH doesn't think that's enough. Last year they got a ton from my parents. Luckily the four year old only wants board games like Chess, which is super cool. I'll probably get the 2 year old some more puzzles, etc. I'm toyed out. We have so many they are stored in the basement. I'm over it.

Comment

My mom did it by monetary value and still does. Certain $$$ per kid. Static # of gifts per kid don't work well when the boys want a $60 video game and the girls have $10 beauty items on their lists
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

We have a 2 year old and her birthday was early November. I don't want a house full of toys even tho I'm already there. I think I'm going to give her 4-5 small gifts and 1-2 big items. I will stuff all the stockings, can't help that part.
            Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
            "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
              My mom did it by monetary value and still does. Certain $$$ per kid. Static # of gifts per kid don't work well when the boys want a $60 video game and the girls have $10 beauty items on their lists
              My mom to this day does this. Works really well.

Comment

I finally convinced my parents to buy the 6 year old lessons. She is getting an intro to horseback (which is actually cheaper than ice skating is here). Santa brings 3 gifts - symbolic of the 3 wise men, and we get them a couple of other things that are usually more on the practical side of life.
                -Deb
                Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

We have the "If-It-Was-Good-Enough-For-Jesus-Then-It's-Good-Enough-For-You-Since-You-Are-Not-The-Risen-Lord-and-Savior-Of-All-Mankind" rule: three gifts under the tree, per kid, from Mom and Dad. And nobody can ask for myrrh, because I have no idea where to get that.

And lots of fun stocking stuffers.

And NOBODY tell me want you "WANT" for Christmas. It is a GIFT (ie, something to which you are not absolutely entitled). It is not a date with on-demand television.

This rule has no impact on my parents or my inlaws. I strongly encourage them not to overdo it, but I can't put a limit on them, either.
                  Last edited by GrayMatterWife; 12-02-2011, 02:17 PM.

Comment

The other thing about those with November/December/January birthdays is that if possible I take a few of each kids gifts and leave them packaged until June or July. This worked well when they were 1 and 2, not sure it will work this year - we'll see.
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                      And nobody can ask for myrrh, because I have no idea where to get that.
                      Amazon, of course: http://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Bulk-.../dp/B000UY86MU
                      - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

Originally posted by reciprocity View Post
                        Oh, good grief. Nobody tell my seven-year-old. He'll ask for it...

Comment

Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                            The other thing about those with November/December/January birthdays is that if possible I take a few of each kids gifts and leave them packaged until June or July. This worked well when they were 1 and 2, not sure it will work this year - we'll see.
                            I used to do that with the boys (December and February birthdays), but now that they're older (almost-6 and -4) it doesn't work anymore.

I bought waaaaaaaaaay too many gifts for the boys this year. Each year as they've gotten older (and know the difference) they've gotten more and more gifts. And they'll get a butt-load from grandparents, too. Fortunately we have a dedicated playroom where I'll throw all of their toys in and then just shut the door. The baby, on the other hand, is getting one gift plus a couple that we never opened from last year and I'm just re-wrapping them since she won't know the difference.
                            ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                            -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Did I mention that the cats also have monogrammed stockings?? oh wait. that's a whole other thread.
                              Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                              "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Working...
                              X