Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy crap, we're screwed too. We go to at least 5 gallons a week plus about a dozen yogurts.
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

We had a speaker come to our moms group when I was still in Rochester and she basically said what that Harvard study said. She said in countries where they do not drink milk past breast milk they have no osteoporosis and she listed a few others but that one stuck with me. Its very interesting...

We go through almost 3 gallons a week and most of that is the kids.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

What's the deal with the war on the dairy industry? Not here, just in general. Nonfat milk is a solid nutritional choice. There is tons of bias in the nutriton industry, I am sure there is a slant from Harvard as well.

ETA: I just did a little research and found that Harvard does NOT eliminate milk or dairy from their "healthy eating guide", it simply says to limit it to 1-2 servings per day. Here is a link to their discussion about calcium and milk: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...ml#bottom-line. When reading about nutrition in the media make sure you go to the source because everyone has an agenda.
        Last edited by Pollyanna; 01-31-2012, 01:30 PM.
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

We are big dairy folks, too. I actually cannot serve milk at meals because the kids drink so much of it! And I always stick to low-fat dairy products, if possible--skim milk, lowfat cheeses, etc. (for the kids...I don't cook with that crappy cheese!).

We drink skim white, 1% chocolate (well, I do--none for the kids unless it's a special treat for DS), and kefir. We eat tons of yogurt (kids like American-style; I like French and Greek). The kids love cheese sticks and grilled cheese sandwiches.

If it were not for dairy and peanut butter, we'd be totally screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
            What's the deal with the war on the dairy industry? Not here, just in general. Nonfat milk is a solid nutritional choice. There is tons of bias in the nutriton industry, I am sure there is a slant from Harvard as well.
            Shitty feed and even shittier living conditions means routine antibiotics administered to livestock, diminishing efficacy for humans. Artificial hormones are regularly administered to increase production. Massive feed lots and dairy productions are environmental nightmares.

Comment

I am NOT a crunchy, organic, I-m-freaked-out-about-hormones-and-chemicals person...at ALL. But I LOVE organic milk. Especially chocolate. I am not sure why, but it tastes somewhat richer to me. Maybe I am imagining it, but I often splurge and head to Whole Foods for organic milk.

Comment

The taste is COMPLETELY different between organic and non-organic.

Comment

I still drink it in lattes and cook with it (though I only buy organic milk), but I guess it always seemed a little off to me to make the milk of another species a main part of your child's diet on a purely biological level. I do love kefir too and will definitely give it, yogurt, and cheese to her often. I guess I'd rather just have her drinking water more often than anything else, fruit juice included, an getting calcium from vegetable sources. We will see how that goes

Either way I don't feel too strongly on the issue either way.
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                    The taste is COMPLETELY different between organic and non-organic.
                    Ah, good! I am glad to hear that someone else thinks so. My husband thinks I'm crazy. But then, he grew up on powdered milk...so his standards are VERRRRRRY low!

Comment

Even when we really had to watch money, organic milk is something I splurged for. I couldn't quite get over the fact that non-organic expired in a couple weeks while the organic would be good a couple of months. Obviously there's some difference.
                      -Deb
                      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I agree on the taste, although I buy Braums milk, which isn't organic. It's locally produced and hormone free, and soooo good! It tastes similar to organic milk to me. I really don't like the big brands, like Borden.

Laurie
                        Laurie
                        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

In IL I'd also buy Oberweiss. You can drive into Wisconsin and see their cows - all on small family-owned dairy farms
                          -Deb
                          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                            I agree on the taste, although I buy Braums milk, which isn't organic. It's locally produced and hormone free, and soooo good! It tastes similar to organic milk to me. I really don't like the big brands, like Borden.
                            ***homesick moment***

I miss Braum's so much. We used to go there all the time when we lived in Dallas.

Comment

Haha the Braums in Dallas make
                              me miss Oklahoma. They are everywhere there and were a fun part of my childhood and college experience. LOVE their limeades
                              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Oberwiess is my favorite! Love that stuff!!!
                                I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Working...
                                X