Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Baby sleeping and eating questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby sleeping and eating questions

We've got breastfeeding down pat...but now I have more questions! Wise ladies of IMSN, I would love your insight

Sleeping:

Barring any Babywise-type schedule with CIO (I'm not comfortable with that), should a two month old be developing a sleep schedule at all or is it normal for it still to be up in the air? Her naps are really random and short (I'm lucky for her to get a good 1.5 hour nap; most of the time it is 30 minutes here and there) unless she is sleeping on/with someone. Then she'll sleep for hours.

As for nighttime, she's been pretty routinely waking up between 4-5 am to eat, but she could go to sleep anywhere between 9 pm and 1 am. Or sometimes she'll go to sleep at 10 pm, wake up again at midnight, be up for an hour, and then sleep until 5 am. We never really know what we're going to get. She usually cluster feeds beforehand and is really fussy before she goes to sleep, but some nights we put her in the mamaroo and she is out for the night. Like I said, no rhyme or reason whatsoever.

I'm a little worried about this because of my work schedule (that will require me to work 1-2 hours in the evening). If that wasn't the case, I'd be fine with her being up late just to spend time with her, but I'm going to need for her to go down at a decent time now. She really fights sleep no matter what the situation is.

Eating:

She's a champ at switching between the bottle and breast (love the Breastflow bottles), but I'm concerned she is overeating big time at the bottle.

The girl can EAT. It's her favorite activity. I have no idea how much she gets at the breast, but I estimated based on the LC's formula/websites, that should should be taking somewhere between 3.5-4.5 oz per bottle feeding. The problem is she eats so fast that I don't think the "I'm full" signal hits her brain until it is too late. She does better self-regulating at the breast, but even then I occasionally have to stop pull her off--she starts choking and gasping for breath.

She can down a 5 oz bottle in under 10 minutes if we let her. This is a slow flow nipple and arguably the hardest (most work) bottle to drink out of on the market. She gets extremely angry if we try to take her off it before she is "done" so most people (me included) panic and give it right back to her instead of giving her breaks. I've started taking her off at 3.5-4 oz and giving her a paci/redirecting her and she usually calms down and goes on her merry way 5 minutes later, but it is really difficult to do because of her screaming.

Without fail there is usually A LOT of spit up on a day she has a bottle, but usually none or very little on a day she is always breastfed. This is what makes me think she is overeating and worries me now that she will be taking a bottle 4 days a week. I think the alternating spit up/watery poop episode at my in-laws was related to this too--she had 2 full bottles the night before and another that morning on top of nursing. My MIL tried redirecting her but ended up giving her a full bottle because it seemed like she was hungry.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Hmmm, I wouldn't redirect a baby if they are still eating (obviously let her come off if she is choking, lol, but otherwise I let the eat until they are done). My guess is that when she drinks from the bottle she gets a lot of air in her tummy that causes the spit-up. My mom is an expect at bottles and making sure baby gets a good seal and no air when they are drinking from the bottle. It really does make a difference.

In terms of sleep, she sounds pretty normal. I don't think any regular schedule shows up until about 4 months and I wouldn't even attempt CIO until after 6 months and they are sleeping pretty well through the night. When you have to work then daddy will have to take over all evening duties. SInce he is not on rotations yet this will be easy to manage (studying can work around baby).

She sounds like a perfectly normal and perfectly sweet baby
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I guess my worry is because it takes her anywhere from 10-25 minutes to eat at the breast (with lots of little breaks), but she just chugs and chugs at the bottle. If I take her off the breast before she is done, she lets me know it and will still be unhappy 10-20 minutes later (I've never had her go longer unhappy about it so I don't know!), but this isn't the case with the bottle.
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

What if you only put 4oz in the bottle? Or even 2 and then refill? A screams bloody murder as well if you pull the bottle out early, but once she burps, she lets out this cute squeak - like "ok, that does feel better".

We use the same bottles and I feel like I really need to work to keep that bottle sealed against her mouth. Could N be pushing it out a bit and gulping the incoming air? A also likes to turn her head toward me, so sometimes it's hard to get that bottle sealed b/c of her angle.

Some peds recommend burping ever half-oz during bottle feedings...some just say at the end

As far as sleep...go with it. Something will click one day, and then when you get in a routine, it will change again.

So, I'm basically no help. I'm right in the trenches with you, though! N is perfectly normal - or her and A are abnormal
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I have no idea about the bottle issue (none of my kids ever took one), but wanted to comment on the sleep thing. I agree with Tara, all of my kids started to organize their sleep around 4 months. Until that point it was always a random free-for-all, so she sounds perfectly normal to me!
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

My niece guzzles bottles and my sister has had to fight her MIL not to over feed. Her ped uses an ounce/an hour guideline for bottle feeding. Her MIL insists on feeding q2h so the bottles are 2 ounces. More than that and Z doesn't nurse well, fusses and spits up a lot. At 3.5 months Z is about 15 pounds and active so there is no worry about her getting enough milk.

I think her sleep will organize better around 4 months like the others mentioned. It may be quicker once you start back to work. You'll be more routine and she will follow.

And all of mine and my sister's slept MUCH better when held or worn. Her oldest would sleep 30 min alone or 3 h when rocked. Even at 7 months old. He's better now, but still not great. So the days she's home or has my mom stay with them, the kids get good naps. At her MILs they get what they get.
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I have a rocking chair in my living room. . She'll nap fine at Aunt Veronica's.
              Veronica
              Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
                I have a rocking chair in my living room. . She'll nap fine at Aunt Veronica's.
                If you make the girls hold her, can they get Child Development class credit? Make ECD part of their curriculum?
                Kris

Comment

I'm jealous of your long overnight stretch! DD still wakes every 2-3 hours most nights. I think DS started going to bed earlier at around 4 months, too.

Laurie
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post

And all of mine and my sister's slept MUCH better when held or worn.
                    Which wrap do you recommend for wearing at home for naps?

Comment

My DD always chugged a bottle. Even with the very slowest flow, it's so much faster than BF. I also think she wasn't quite as content with the bottle. I agree with the idea of starting with a smaller bottle, and then adding to it if needed. My kids never had a schedule until 3-4 , months, and they were typically up for the day (just naps) until 11pm, when they kind of settled in for night sleep (but still woke during the night, if that makes sense).
                      -Deb
                      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                        I guess my worry is because it takes her anywhere from 10-25 minutes to eat at the breast (with lots of little breaks), but she just chugs and chugs at the bottle. If I take her off the breast before she is done, she lets me know it and will still be unhappy 10-20 minutes later (I've never had her go longer unhappy about it so I don't know!), but this isn't the case with the bottle.
                        Why the need to take her off the breast before she's done? I'd be unhappy if someone took my meal away too . I'm just a big believer in letting them eat until satisfied, for some of my kids it was 10 minutes and others it was 45. Some would eat 1 jar of baby food at a meal and others needed 3 jars. I know the slow nipple for the bottle bothers her but keep using it or try other bottles. I think it is also a good idea to start with 4oz, let her burp, and then give her 2oz increments per bottle (burping in between) until she is done. she will likely tire at the first 2oz but she will finish a happy baby.
                        Tara
                        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I also wanted to add that when I started trying to get DS on a schedule, the place I started with was morning wake up. I decided on 7:00, then made sure he was up within about 10-15 minutes (earlier or later). If he woke up too early (but wouldn't have time to sleep after the feeding, like 6:30), I held him in the dark room, but unless he was really crying, I didn't feed him until 7:00. They're usually ready. For a nap somewhere between 1-2 hours after waking, so that became his first scheduled feeding and nap. For a little while, the rest of the day just depended on how long that nap was - he'd usually sleep after being awake about 2 hours after waking from the first nap. Next, E seemed old enough to start stretching his awake time, so I worked on getting the second nap at a regular time, regardless of when he woke up from the first nap. Once those two were regular, he was pretty much settled into 3 naps a day, so I just let the third one happen whenever he was tired, but I woke him up by 5:00 so he'd have about 3 hours until bedtime at 8:00. This wasn't a fast process, and he was a terrible sleeper, so I'm not sure if it was him or me, but that's what eventually worked better than anything else I tried...

Laurie
                          Laurie

Comment

Deleted duplicate post - I'm a dork!
                            Laurie

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenclaw View Post
                              Which wrap do you recommend for wearing at home for naps?
                              I use my Ergo...which is not a wrap
                              Jen
                              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
                              X