Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Snowsuit questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowsuit questions

Here is a question for people who live in a cold climate: How can I fit the baby in the carrier in her snowsuit? She is only 4 months old and about 14 pounds or so, but I can't squeeze her into the Bjorn when she is wearing her snow suit! It's too tight! Am I missing something, because it seems ridiculous that they make them too small to be worn with a snowsuit. I've tried just putting her in layers so it's less bulky than a snowsuit, but then she gets cold. I also have the ERGO carrier. Haven't tried that one with a snowsuit yet, although I'm going to try that next, because I think the Bjorn is just a smaller carrier.

Also, on the snowsuit topic, I've heard that you're not supposed to put a baby in a carseat in his/her snowsuit. What do you ladies do?

no idea about the carrier. For the carseat - I always made sure my babies had hats on, then after they were buckled, I threw blankets on them. I basically still use the same technique, although they all have coats in the car for when we arrive somewhere. From the house, they go into the garage in their clothes, I bring each child a blanket that they get once buckled. It works.
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Could you wear her under your coat or your DH's coat? I see people doing that in the winter.
      As for car seats I heard you're better off putting the winter cover over the whole car seat because its hard to secure them in the seat with a coat or snowsuit on.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by MarissaNicole; 02-06-2012, 08:30 PM.
      Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

For an infant, you definitely don't want them in a snow suit in their car seat. The restraints aren't as effective as there is too much slack. So, cover the babe up with blankets or use a car seat cover.
        Kris

Comment

I should add - we actually had a carseat cover, but I stuck blankets inside of it (on top of the buckle). My kids were all born fall/winter in cold climates.
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

What HoW said. DD only wears a snowsuit if I am carrying her in my arms. I will get in the backseat with her, take her out of the carseat, lay the snowsuit in the carseat, and get her bundled When I use the Ergo and we're outside, I wear her inside on of DH's coats with a hat or blanket on her head. In her carseat, I have a little blankie and one of the fleece-lined covers.
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

We never did the snowsuit either. Several layers and then the fleece carseat cover, if we went outside for a walk, I added a couple of blankets under the cover.

Comment

for the infant seat we did a JJ Cole Arctic Bag that stayed in the seat and zipped over them (in her normal clothes and a light blanket)
                for the carrier I never really used it in the cold. LLBean used to make fleece zipped suits that worked really well, but when we moved back to Canada and it was the dead of winter and -30, we only used the infant seat with the JJCole bag.
                For bigger babies that are in the regular car seats in the car, we did down jackets (because they compact better than fiber filled ones) and then a blanket over the legs.
                If we go out for a walk in the jogger, I put them in their down jackets and then put a heavier weight fake fur blanket in the Chariot and zip it closed.

My kids only wear snowsuits if they're going out to play.

Comment

Thanks everyone! Good advice!

Comment

Working...
                  X