Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Travel/Gate checking stroller(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel/Gate checking stroller(s)

So, we are traveling with two babies for the first time! In the past, we've gate checked our snap-n-go w/ carseat or single stroller. Now we are trying to figure out how to travel with two babies. We first thought we'd bring 2 inexpensive umbrella strollers so we could each look after one baby and so we wouldn't freak out if a stroller was damaged. But now we are thinking of bringing our double (verrrry expensive) stroller because (1) we will be road tripping part of the time and 2 strollers take up more space than our double, and (2) if one of had to take on both babies, we couldn't do it with two strollers. So, my first question is whether we should bring the double or two single strollers? My second question is, if we bring the double, what is the best gate-check bag to use so that it doesn't get damaged/parts don't get lost? (Baby wearing is not an option for me. The boys are too big for me to wear for any extended time and DrK doesn't wear the kids.)
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Also, are the airlines giving people grief about gate checking large strollers? We are traveling Delta

Comment

We always always brought our double Peg Perego to the gate and never had a problem. The gate attendent tagged it and we would just drop it off (folded) at the end of the jet-way. We have never checked a stroller so don't know what is a good protective covering. You'll be so happy to have your stroller with you.

Have a fun trip!
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

i thought about gate checking my Phil & Ted once and was going to borrow a friend's travel bag that is specific to the stroller. I wouldn't have checked it without, its too expensive. But I see BOBs in the airports all the time, so people are obviously gate checking them without to much issue.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I'll post again but the only problem I've come across is at the Raleigh airport at the American Airline counter. They wouldn't allow me to take anything other than a umbrella stroller starting in 2011. They said it's on their website. Maybe check with your airline's website to get the policy on types of strollers for gate checking. Funny thing was I had no problem gate checking the big stroller when I left Dallas on the same airline. I know you said you are traveling Delta... but I flew Southwest this year out of Raleigh and they gave me no problem gate checking my BOB. I wasn't too worried about gate checking it... but I know anything could happen.
          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I gate check all the time. Ive done single and double side by side strollers. It's easy to do, and if your kids like strollers it's so great.

That being said, my strollers have been damaged by the crew. And you have to sign a waiver that you don't hold them responsible for damages or for the strollers getting lost. The problem is when they try to unfold it for you so it's all set up (they bent a thingy on our stroller once going this- it never quite folded correctly again) and then another problem was they cut the foam stuff around a handle one time. That always bugged me.

I do not like basic umbrellas bc the front wheels are locked and they are hard to steer. The strollers I use mostly are maclaren (??) so not super expensive-- 100$ strollers. I think for a nice stroller I'd invest in the bag.
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

There is absolutely no way I would gate check an expensive stroller. Slam. Bam. Smash. Scratch. I can only imagine.

I have flown five times in the past eight weeks, just me with all three kids. I had no problems gate checking a large umbrella stroller on either Frontier or Delta. And, on Delta I had to check into luggage a large toddler seat and a child's booster, and they were great about it.

Comment

I think we must be the exception because in over 17 years of travel with little ones, always gate checking high quality strollers, we have never once had anything damaged. Not even a scratch. We have also never been asked to sign anything not holding the airline responsible for damage. We only fly American and Southwest and both carriers are super nice every time.

I do have issue that families are no longer allowed to preboard, but that's an entirely different issue.
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Southwest makes us sign a release of liability for damage only. They agree to not lose it, but damage is on us. :/

And for SW- pay the extra $10/person/flight to be "automatically" checked in. It is 12 hrs before regular check-in and we've always gotten into the "A" boarding group.
                  Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I think I'm going to bring my big stroller. I can remove the awnings and pack them flat in our luggage. The seats come apart from the stroller frame so it folds flat. I'm thinking that I can fold it up, bungie the 3 parts (2 seats and a frame) together, put it in a gate check bag, and pray for it's safe arrival.

GMW, just in case I haven't said it a zillion times before, you are superwoman. Travelling alone with 3 little ones? Wow! Just the thought of it makes me queezy. I'm such a wuss.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                      GMW, just in case I haven't said it a zillion times before, you are superwoman.
                      No superpowers involved, actually. All credit goes to my kids. They are awesome fliers. WAY better than long-distance car riders...they get carsick very easily. But flying, they are perfect. They behave and amuse themselves pretty easily. I just take some books, crayons, and crackers.

Honestly, my kids are better mannered than some of the adults on board. We got trapped on the Tarmac on one flight--for something like an hour and a half, for what was supposed to be a 55 minute flight! Several of the adults were grumbling loudly and demanding to know when we'd be departing, etc. When the flight finally landed, as we were de-planing, my son pipes up cheerfully, "Wow! That flight was great! We got to watch all the airplanes and trucks at the airport for FOREVER! Wasn't that great, Mom?!" Everyone within 10 rows of us started laughing. Everything is perspective.

But, I have a rule: ONLY NONSTOP FLIGHTS. If I can't get there in one leg, I ain't going. The only exception to that was when we went to Charlottesville last January. But the exception was not too bad--there were no direct STL-CHO flights, but there was a flight connecting through ATL. I made sure that DH's flight from ATL to CHO was the same flight that the kids and I would be on! So I had help.

Actually, I have two other rules, too: (1) Everyone potty-trained must pee RIGHT BEFORE WE GET ON BOARD. Nothing is a much a pain as taking kids to the toilet on a plane; and (2) No drinks on board for DD#!. She is three-and-a-half and spills everything. And she has the bladder the size of a pea. She knows this rule and grudgingly accepts it.
                      Last edited by GrayMatterWife; 03-04-2012, 02:00 PM.

Comment

My kids are frequent fliers too--

I would suggest going through the routine a few times at home-- play TSA line for instance. My kids know what to expect so when we go drop bags at the bag drop (already checked in and paid baggage fees) they wait patiently away from the crowded bag check area with big sister. Usually they eat cereal or finish their drinks. Next, we move to the TSA line. No complaining-- throw away your juice boxes or whatever, line up, answer the TSA guy correctly when they ask your name, then proceed to your lane for security. Practice this part with your kids-- taking off shoes, taking off jackets, putting bags on the belt, and waiting patiently for your turn to walk through. Discuss who goes first, who goes last, where we sit on the other end to get our stuff back together...

After security it's easy.

I like to break the flight into 15 min increments myself-- I figure I can handle almost anything for 15 min. I never ever plan to read, look at a magazine, drink coffee, eat a snack, or use a bathroom while on the plane.

But you are traveling with your dh-- you might have a bit more leeway on this stuff.

Anyway-- if this is babyKs first flight, I think he'd benefit from some role play on the whole getting on the plane thing. Kids books usually just show you packing and then next page sitting on the plane. All the stuff in the middle is skipped over.
                        Peggy

Comment

BabyK has been on 16 flights but the last was over a year ago. Guess it's time for a refresher.

Comment

Peggy's advice is GREAT!! Also, you don't have to worry about the kids taking off their shoes anymore (the TSA rules have changed), so you just have to deal with clothes. No belts, nothing metal in trim, and have the kids' winter coats prepacked...I always stuff them into the backpack that DS is carrying (his large compartment is left empty, for this reason. If there is anyway at all to mail the kids' clothes to your destination ahead of time, it's stuff you don't have to haul to the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                              BabyK has been on 16 flights but the last was over a year ago. Guess it's time for a refresher.
                              Lol I remembered that after I posted.

Travel with 2 is different but you all have btdt-- it will be easy. He can show 2K what to do. It's a Big Brother thing!!
                              Peggy

Comment

Working...
                              X