Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Reflux update (BF experts come in!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflux update (BF experts come in!)

So D woke up with one eye crusted over today so we took her to the pedi (no big deal, just eyedrops). While there, I told him about the issue we've been having with her sleeping. It's become a very simple pattern at night, she eats, she sleeps for 15 minutes, we put her down, and within 15 minutes she's up screaming again. As soon as we can get her to burp (anywhere from immediately to 10 minutes) she quiets again. This goes on for 2-4 hours per night and it's a piercing pain cry, not a hunger cry.

Pedi (the only one I don't like in the practice) said she has reflux and it's worse at night bc we're trying to lay her down. He then said I'm clearly feeding her too often based on her weight gain from her 8 week appt. I told him that a naked weight gain and a fully clothed full diaper weight gain (today) were hard to compare but he still said I'm feeding her too much. He said to space out feedings and make her do non nutritive sucking for comfort (paci or a finger) if it's sooner than 3 hours and especially at the end of the day.

I told him I didn't think you could overfeed a BF baby and he said no, you can if it's causing reflux.

So, I just tried to hold my hungry, screaming baby off from nursing (she last fed 90 mins ago but only one side) and lasted all of 3 minutes. I can't do this! And now I'm totally doubting myself. I'm causing her pain by overfeeding her or I'm making her miserable by not feeding her when she's hungry. Wtf am I supposed to do. I thought feeding on-demand was the best thing? And she won't take a paci. And when she's hungry, she is so upset that I wont feed her. She was looking at me like "why mommy, why?". I felt like a horrible mother.

So now what? I agree that she's got a reflux or bad gas problem since getting her to burp immediately allows her to calm. I'm all for preventing it but I'm not trading reflux for misery of not feeding her.

Can the MSN braintrust help? We are going to prop her to sleep and try holding her upright for 30 mins after feeding.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Yikes, he seems to have been less than helpful. I'm so sorry. I have not had experience with infant reflux so I'm not sure I will be a huge help but I don't think holding her off from feeding is a good idea. What I would do is call the office back and make an appointment with your favorite pediatrician. You need someone you trust that can walk you through this and take the time to answer your questions and make you feel confident about the plan for your child. Did this doc suggest meds or just withholding feeding?
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

My feeling on reflux is that you can never know for sure unless a peds radiologist goes in there and does a fluoroscopy to see if she's refluxing in a swallow study. Or you'd have to get her scoped. Reflux is not something you can see just by looking at the baby, listening to the feeding schedule and weighing him/her. So there you have it--you could try Zantac to see of it provides relief from the screaming and wakings, but I'd say do what you think is right on this one.
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I would get an appt with the lactation consultant/ped immediately. I had one baby who ate every 2 1/2 hours and was always 50th percentile for height/weight, another that ate every three hours like clockwork, and a third who was all over the board. I think keeping her upright after feelings will give you some good information, but it also sounds like you don't trust the diagnosis, so go see someone you trust. I've seen more than my fair share of less than stellar pediatricians, and it took me much to long to learn to trust my instincts and seek a second opinion. I hope you figure this out soon.
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Gosh your post has me all riled up now!
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

3 hours seems like a really long time...
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I don't have an MD ... but that doesn't sound right. If anything (assuming this is reflux related) she may be eating more frequently for relief since breastmilk works as a natural antacid. With that said, my son spit-up up like woah (think projectile, carpet soaking spit-up after every feed), which was related to my oversupply/over-active let down. But even so, the recommendation wasn't to feed him less. Maybe I'm oversimplifying but if feeding were causing her pain I bet she'd either refuse to nurse or fuss while being fed. In fact, my ped told us not to bother testing for reflux since he was a happy eater and never fussed at the breast (just every non-eating moment ).

Comment

Feed that poor child (says the mom with a whopping 5 months experience!)
                Jen
                Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

She spits up a ton after every feed but I figured that was why she was eating a lot bc she was hungry.

He said anything under 3 hours was too frequent at this age.
                  Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

And as if to spite him, she's been eating constantly for the last 2 hours basically.

Comment

Word, Cassy.

I'd get another doc on this, ASAP. This one sounds like an asshole. Even worse, he's an asshole who isn't listening to you and is being a condescending dick.

Comment

Feed her when she's hungry. Stop her to burp often. Every 2 minutes even. That will slow her feedings so her brain can catch up to her stomach and she can tell you she's full. She may be spitting up bc of gas filling her belly and not milk. Check her latch. See if you think she's gulping air with her milk.

My reflux advice is small frequent feedings and keeping upright 30 minutes after feeding. Lots of burping too.

Also meds were really the most helpful for D.
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I know nothing but that sounds stupid! Have you tried putting her in a reclined position after she eats? Like her car seat or bouncy seat?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
                          Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Waiting to feed means she will be more likely to overfill at a sitting. Also, getting that upset will increase her aerophagia and make the whole cycle worse. I hate to say an MD is wrong. But I think he is.
                            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Hehe good for her (and you)! I agree that you should talk to another pediatrician. If your baby is hungry, she knows it, and you know it, and I've never heard of a BF baby eating too much. Even when they're just comfort nursing, they adjust their pressure so they're not getting as much milk. (I'm sure it's happened before, but I've seen some very large breastfed babies whose pediatricians were perfectly happy with their weight.) Go with your instincts on this one.
                              Laurie
                              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                              X