Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Constipation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mmmmmm. Mango!
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

So her urine culture was negative. I'm trying to remember the lactulose regularly. She actually didn't get it all weekend at her dad's and had normal non painful poop on Tuesday. She received the lactulose twice a day with me and is now screaming and severely constipated. . I feel awful. She won't even let me hold her when she's screaming and crying and straining. . So I asked Russ what she ate when with him. Basically nothing. But she didn't have any dairy. And with me she gets cheese and yogurt. Not a ton, but one cheese stick per day and 1 YoBaby yogurt per day. She also gets fresh fruit. And I just started giving her the applesauce pouches.

I'm going to cut out the dairy. It's going to be hard bc she loves it and it's Kai's main source of protein so it's not something the whole house can do. But I'm wondering if that was the difference between my house and Russ'.

I feel so badly about this. My mama guilt is in overdrive. I definitely didn't take this serious enough. And I'm not remembering her meds regularly...though I have the last few days. And of course I keep reading about emotional reasons for withholding and it's got me feeling even worse.

Poor girl. It sucked having everyone stare at me at soccer practice while my daughter stood away from me and screamed and strained and wouldn't let me near her. I just wanted to comfort her.

She passed poop tonight and it was formed and so thick. And while it was normal colored and rather firm, it stunk something awful. Like old gut.

I'm going to have to try to keep a food/poo journal. I can't remember anything these day.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

We don't do applesauce - it causes constipation (pear sauce doesn't). Cheese can too, but yogurt doesn't. I'd also watch bread and pasta. I wouldn't change her diet too drastically.
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Apples constipate my dd, pears don't. Just like Deebs.
          Could you try mixing prune purée in with white grape juice and put the concoction in a cup/bottle/sippy cup? I did that when it was really bad.

Comment

She wouldn't eat the prunes I got. She wouldn't drink much of the white grape juice. I kept her away from cheese so far today, though she asked twice. She did have bread and pretzels, but also some grapes.

I ended up giving her a glycerin suppository today when she started to strain. I then made her sit on the potty. (she won't squat when she strains....it's weird). She then pooped and smiled at me. Whew! Same amount and size poop as yesterday. I don't think the lactulose is right for her system. I bought some Miralax so I think I'm going to just switch her to that. Especially since so many of you have had good experiences with it, your med-halfs recommend it and I've seen it mentioned on numerous preemie boards. (it was also Russ' first suggestion.)

I also got some flaxseed meal and wheat bran. Maybe I can add those to the pancakes and such.
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Could you try a couple spoonfuls of prune purée mixed in with what she drinks? I used to even put it into formula.

On the miralax, titrate it gradually. Too much in one go, and she'll poop in every single diaper, and may feel really uncomfortable.

Comment

I'm glad you're going to try the Miralax. DH suggests half a dose twice a day mixed with juice. And also, really push water, water, water. The Miralax takes a few days to work so don't be discouraged if you don't see a difference today or tomorrow. Hang in there, mama!
                Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Working...
                X