Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Selection and Care of Baby Toys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selection and Care of Baby Toys

Two questions:

How do you make sure the toys your kid is repeatedly sticking in their mouth is safe? I was thinking about this tonight--MIL bought these adorable little stuffed peeps for Easter since N obviously cannot eat real ones. (Despite her father's best attempts on Christmas Day, different story) We joked about how much she will love to suck on them "as long as they aren't made in China or anything." Turned the box over...yup...made in China. I don't really like that idea of that in her mouth. But how do I know anything is safe?

How do you clean plush toys? N has this adorable Lamaze owl (thanks again TigerLily) that she absolutely loves and makes out with daily. Consequently it is getting pretty disgusting...think constant drool and occasional spit up. It says "surface clean only" but that doesn't seem like enough. How do you clean your kiddo's toys and with that?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

I always shoved stuffed animals and toys into pillow cases and washed as usual. Take out and air dry or use the low-heat option on your dryer.

Comment

I also washed stuffed toys in the washing machine. My home care sitter used to run all the plastic toys through the dishwasher.

I figure if it can't handle being cleaned, I either need to let my germ worries go, or I need to let the toy go.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

As far as safety is concerned, there is a consumer protection recall e-mail list that you can subscribe to. You can also look up specific toys on their website if you are worried; I do this for garage sale finds all time. Generally, recalls seem to relate to choking hazards, small parts that break off (usually wheels or eyes), and chords/strings.

I totally forgot about washing plastic toys in the dishwasher! I usually soak them in a sink or bathtub filled with water, dish soap, and vinegar.
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

What they said.

This stuff is great to keep in the diaper bag for quick sanitizing. It's non-toxic and tastes good, so they can put it back in their mouth immediately. http://www.binkyspritz.com/
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

We do the pillow case in the washing machine thing too. Not often, we usually just wipe things off. But when the stuffed animals get really really gross. (like when elmo fell into the trash can at the children's museum) Then they get a wash in the machine and sometimes a steam in the dryer too.
            And I'm so glad that owl is getting so much love!
            -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

It's more than love. We're bordering on physical assault now.

Thanks for the tips!
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I'm just learning to accept the fact that I can't keep everything clean, as much as I try (and was super diligent with it in the beginning)! My daughter's favourite thing to put in her mouth lately is books. Needless to say, most of them are not washable! Oh well, here's hoping the germs are good for her immune system.

Comment

Um, I'm suppose to wash/clean toys?

Comment

I know there is a thread here somewhere about disgusting things our kids have eaten. . . Bugs, shoes, dog poo. . .
                    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

So another related question...do your kids pacifiers get disgusting inside? Every so often we have a "Binky boil" but there are a few that always look cloudy inside and one I just threw away that was starting to resemble a petri dish. Is this normal?

Comment

I've never seen a binky get like that ST, but with how N goes at her binky, I could understand. LOL
                        Veronica
                        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Wait...what? You people wash toys?

That's so funny. Good mommies!!

I let our dog lick the peanut butter residue off my two-year old's face, so I don't have to bend down. Name all the mommying problems with that last sentence!

Comment

Haha GMW! There are so many parenting moments that make me want a dog... Mainly for under-the-high-chair cleanup. I've never heard of that happening with pacifiers, ST. I usually boil them when I first buy them, and then just use the binky spritz or wash them with Dawn. Have you tried buying new ones? Boiling them sometimes discolors the rubber, but it sounds like something is growing in there?
                            Laurie
                            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Water has gotten in there when I boil them, so I guess spit and milk could. Eww

Comment

Working...
                              X