Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Bottle Strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottle Strike

DD decided today that she will not take a bottle from DH. And I return to work on Monday.

Crap, crap, crap. We had her doing well and taking a bottle every 48 hours or so and then life got really, really busy with traveling, selling/buying houses and my grandpa's memorial service and she hasn't had one in 3 weeks.

Any advice? We've tried to introduce it when she's sleepy, hungry, not hungry, half hungry, and nothing is working!!! I'm so afraid to leave her for 8-10 hours on Monday and have her be starving and miserable.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Breathe! Relax! She will probably take one when you aren't around. She may refuse for the first feeding, but she will probably take it at the next. And she will be OK if she doesn't eat the 8-10 hours you are gone Monday. Nurse her a ton when you get home, and view the time away from you as her "sleeping through the night." Nurse her often during the night as well. It will take a couple of weeks, but both you and she will adjust to the new plan....whether it's one bottle during the time away from you and nursing the rest of the time you are reunited....or it's her regularly scheduled bottles while you are gone.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
      Breathe! Relax! She will probably take one when you aren't around. She may refuse for the first feeding, but she will probably take it at the next. And she will be OK if she doesn't eat the 8-10 hours you are gone Monday. Nurse her a ton when you get home, and view the time away from you as her "sleeping through the night." Nurse her often during the night as well. It will take a couple of weeks, but both you and she will adjust to the new plan....whether it's one bottle during the time away from you and nursing the rest of the time you are reunited....or it's her regularly scheduled bottles while you are gone.
      This absolutely.
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

That makes me feel slightly better Michele. I never, ever refuse her nursing day or night so I guess I could just feed her all night until she figures it out.

I just pity DH if she screams in hunger all day long.
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

E did this. She actually didn't take a bottle my first week back to work. I would nurse her when I dropped her off, at lunch, and again at pick-up. By the second week, she was fine and started taking her bottle, though I worked nearby so I still nursed at lunch for the first 2 months back. She would not take a bottle if I was in the same house.
          Veronica
          Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
            She would not take a bottle if I was in the same house.
            I think this is key. Babies are smart, if they know mama is in the near vicinity they will refuse the bottle. Hang in there
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Yes, what everyone else has said. It's going to be okay. Also, DS wouldn't take a bottle in any position that resembled nursing and was frequently fed in a facing out position. Otherwise, the poor guy was just constantly looking for boob. Thinking of you as you make this transition

Comment

She'll be fine What if she slept for 8 hours a few nights? Same thing - just seems worse because it's when she "should" be eating I agree with Michele!
                Jen
                Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
                  What if she slept for 8 hours a few nights?
                  Well, I would be in heaven. But then I would probably freak out and wake her up since the longest she's ever gone is 4 hours once. Being a new mom makes you neurotic to a whole new degree.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                    Well, I would be in heaven. But then I would probably freak out and wake her up since the longest she's ever gone is 4 hours once. Being a new mom makes you neurotic to a whole new degree.
                    I can 110% relate!
                    Jen
                    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                      Yes, yes it does.
                      Kris

Comment

Working...
                      X