Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Baptism Gifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism Gifts

Omg I can't believe I'm starting a post in this area, but I need advice! My BF was asked to be his niece's godfather. I'm assuming that means I need to get her a gift. What are some good non-religious baptism gifts? I thought I'd do something fun and girly, since she'll probably be getting a ton of money and Jesus stuff from the relatives.

But I've never even been to a baptism, so I have no idea what protocol is.

Ps does he HAVE to go to the baptism? His next couple months are ridiculous, so finding a day that he can even show up is going to be quite the feat, especially since he only gets his monthly schedule a week before the next month starts. Meaning that the most notice they'll be able to give the other relatives is 5 weeks!
    I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Catholic or other religion? Ideally he should be there if he can. It's also okay to decline if he really doesn't feel like he can be a godparent.

I like your idea of getting non religious stuff. We got a lot and I'm not sure what to do with it. Some baby books or a cute outfit are sure to be appreciated.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

They're Catholic. The thing is, he really wants to be the godfather...but it is going to be hard for them to find a day he's available to actually be there! We were planning on going out of town his guaranteed weekend off, but every attempt we've made to do something fun since residency started has been thwarted, so I'm sure that'll be the date they'll pick. Obviously we wouldn't choose going out of town over the baptism, it's just crazy how we have such poor vacation timing.

Comment

A monogrammed blanket?
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Ooh, I like Heidi's idea.

Comment

He doesn't have to be there if they can't make it work, they can use a stand in for te ceremony. I am my nephew's godmother and the godfather couldn't be there. I think a non religious gift would be fine because more then likely they will get the usual from grandparents.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

That is a good idea...I am going to their house this weekend, so I will try to snoop to make sure they don't already have one. Their family is gigantic, so she got a ton of baby gifts. I'd like to make sure I don't get a duplicate item!

What about jewelry? Is that a weird gift for a baby since she can't wear it til she is older? I feel like maybe that would be a better first communion gift or something. I'm so clueless!

It's Jewish tradition to plant a tree for a new baby...traditionally a cypress tree for a girl. They live in the city, so that wouldn't really be practical for them, but I could always plant a tree in Israel or here through a local organization. Would that be weird to do as part of the gift? I'd get her something else as well...but be honest!

Comment

I got a delicate little birthstone necklace as a baptism gift that I wore through elementary school. If I have a daughter someday, I'll give it to her. So I think jewelry is totally appropriate.

If it were my child being baptized, I'd want the godparents there, but Cheri's right that they will probably make it work. (Individual dioceses, and even churches, can vary a lot on stuff like this.)
                Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Yeah, he would obviously really love to be there. But he's a surgery resident, and his sister (the mom) is a fellow in a different speciality. So coordinating weekends between the two of them is virtually impossible!

Comment

I love the idea of planting a tree and then another gift like jewelry. Really, it's just nice that you're putting so much thought into the whole thing.

Comment

I think the idea of incorporating your Jewish heritage into it is way cool! I say go for the cypress in Israel and another tangible gift like the monogrammed blanket.
                      Kris

Comment

I'd also make HIM actually help you pick out the gift, too. I mean I get you are just trying to help him out, but it is technically his responsibility if he wants to take on the role, not yours. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally guilty of this too (DH: What did we get my mom for her birthday? A book, right?)
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Oh, this would most be a gift just from me. He'll probably just give money. He has to ask me to go in on a gift, otherwise he knows I'll just put my name on the card. I don't assume anything with that kid.
                          Last edited by corn poffi; 09-18-2012, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Well than that is awfully nice of you!

Comment

Working...
                            X