Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Weaning--have to use formula?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weaning--have to use formula?

At one point does a weaned baby need nothing to "replace" breast milk? N is getting at most one bottle a day now and I'm just not making as much as before. She still nurses at night and probably will for awhile, but I doubt she is getting very much at all.

She is a BIG eater, though. Yesterday she had a whole banana and a mini pumpkin muffin for breakfast alone. She eats 3 full meals a day plus snacks.

Honestly, I'm tired of pumping during the day (I only pump once, sometimes twice now, but I don't get more than 1 oz the second time so it isn't really worth it) and would prefer to quit, but I don't want to put her on formula. We also don't plan to do cow's milk.

I probably just need to ask the ped next week, but in summary, can she go without a bottle of breastmilk during the day if she is still nursing at night and not have to supplement formula?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

No advice since A drinks formula - but does what does she drink the rest of the day? Water? I don't know if I'm giving A too much formula - she doesn't drink water (spits it out).

No cow's milk - soy/almond milk? If she's not getting much anyway and is eating a balanced diet, I would say it doesn't matter.
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Yes, she drinks water and occasionally some grape or prune juice when she is constipated, but that is rare now!
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

How old she is now? What do you plan to go to if you're not going to use cows milk?

I was always told that they needed the nutrition and vitamins in breastmilk (or formula) until 1 and then they needed whole milk for the fat for brain development until 2. I suppose you might be able to make up that fat in yogurt??

While I'm sure she's getting enough calories without it my concern would be the vitamins and brain development??
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Yes, make a plan with your pediatrician. The fat content in whole milk helps with the absorption of vitamins A and D so if you are foregoing milk make sure it is for an appropriate alternative.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

She's 10.5 months. Good point about the vitamins. I'll ask about the fat--she eats avocado, hard boiled egg, cheese, cottage cheese, and yogurt regularly. I almost wonder if she is getting too much solids vs breastmilk, but she is very insistent when she does want to nurse and I let her. She just prefers solids most of the time. I'm going to nix the cheerios soon, though.

Comment

I remember wondering about this same thing. DS was/is a big eater (he takes after his mama ) and we were told we shouldn't limit healthy solids, so as they did not interfere with his consumption of breastmilk/formula. According to our ped., before a year most of a baby's calories should be either breastmilk or formula based. That recommendation may vary by provider, though.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                I'm going to nix the cheerios soon, though.
                Why? They are a great fortified snack that allows her to work on her fine motor skills.

I think she is doing great. I wouldn't worry too much
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Ask her pediatrician what to do. Each kid is different. My 3 year old weighed 27.5 pounds at her cardiology appointment last week, and is just teeny tiny overall. If N's pediatrician isn't worried about what she eats then I wouldn't change what you're doing solids-wise. You'll get the right advice for your specific scenario. Also, once she starts walking her body will change.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

You can do goat milk instead of cow but talk your ped about doing it before 1.
                    Veronica
                    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Pollyanna...she is a Cheerio fiend! Girl likes carbs and sweets like her mama.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why are you avoiding cow's milk?
                        Kris

Comment

I would offer formula until she's a year old. From what I understand, they don't absorb the solids as well as formula or breastmilk until their digestive systems are more mature? Here's what Kelly Mom recommends: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...ds/solids-how/.

Here's the recommendation from The Baby Sleep Site for 10-month olds (http://www.babysleepsite.com/schedul...ld-schedule/):
                          Amounts per day:

• At least 3-4 nursing sessions per day or 24-32 ounces formula or combination of both
                          • No more than 6-8 oz of water or juice (to ensure they drink enough breast milk or formula)
                          • 2 servings (1 serving = 1-2 Tablespoons dry) baby cereal
                          • 2 servings grain (1 serving = 1/2 slice bread, 2 crackers, 1/2 cup Cheerios, or 1/2 cup whole grain pasta)
                          • 2 servings fruit (1 serving = 3-4 Tablespoons)
                          • 2-3 servings vegetable (1 serving = 3-4 Tablespoons)
                          • 2-3 servings protein (1 serving = 1-2 Tablespoons)
                          • 1 serving Dairy (1 serving = 1/2 cup yogurt, 1/3 cup cottage cheese or 1 oz grated cheese)
                          • You can also offer cooked egg yolk (but no egg whites until 1 year old due to allergens)
                          Laurie
                          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                            Just out of curiosity, why are you avoiding cow's milk?
                            I was wondering the same thing. Shall we move this to the debate section? Kidding
                            Tara

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                              I was always told that they needed the nutrition and vitamins in breastmilk (or formula) until 1 and then they needed whole milk for the fat for brain development until 2. I suppose you might be able to make up that fat in yogurt??
                              S had his 15mo exam last week. Our ped told me that the AAP has changed the guidelines on this. It's whole (cow) milk until 1yo and then 2% until 2yo. He used to say forumula/breastmilk until 1yo, whole milk until 2yo, and skim milk thereafter.
                              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Working...
                              X