Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Rocker/Glider recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker/Glider recommendations?

We didn't have a rocker or glider with our daughter and I always wished I'd had one while nursing. I'm looking for any recs for this time around, what's good? What's junk?

-C
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

According to bottom of my chair, I have a Best Chairs Storytime Series Soma glider (?). I love it. Have you been to Guys and Dolls Furniture? They have a fair number of gliders set up and have a boppy available so that you can test them out. There were a lot that I liked online that in person didn't provide great support for nursing. Anyway, may be worth checking out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bittersweet View Post
      According to bottom of my chair, I have a Best Chairs Storytime Series Soma glider (?). I love it. Have you been to Guys and Dolls Furniture? They have a fair number of gliders set up and have a boppy available so that you can test them out. There were a lot that I liked online that in person didn't provide great support for nursing. Anyway, may be worth checking out.
      I haven't yet, that is a great idea. Thanks!
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

We got one from BRU. My IL's bought it. At the time, MILK was pissed that I picked out the most expensive one. I chose it because it was wider than the rest of the gliders. I wanted to be sure that I could sit comfortably with the boppy or a pillow and a baby that was going to grow larger. Also, DrK is a big man. He wasn't with us so I asked a larger man who was at the store to sit in each of the chairs and let me know which felt comfortable for him. Now that K1 is larger and we often end up holding both of them and sometimes a couple dolls/blankies/teddys/pillows in the glider at storytime, I am really glad we got the largest one. It's wide enough for me to sit comfortably with once child beside me and one in my lap. DrK can sit in it with both boys in his lap.

ETA: I think this is the one we got. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=11468566 We didn't get the ottoman, since MILK was pissed about the cost of the chair and that I ordered upholstery rather than taking one that was in the store. The custom upholstery didn't cost extra but MILK didn't want to wait for the chair. When the boys were tiny and I was nursing a lot, I would have liked to have the ottoman but now that we are in a smaller place and the boys are climbing, it's probably better that we don't have it.
        Last edited by MrsK; 11-23-2012, 02:04 PM.
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I'm no real help here, but one day when dd was 3 or 4 month old and totally inconsolable (basically 24/7) dh sat with dd in a glider at Pottery Barn. Long story short, the next thing I knew, we were loading the car up with a floor model glider to the tune of $600. Gahhh!!! Do test them out though--we've been happy with ours, while I've noticed with a friend's that hers makes a funny clicking sound when you rock.
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I think we have the same one as MrsK! I've also loved it, especially being wider than most. Both of my kids have preferred the football hold while nursing, and it had plenty of room. Now there's room for me to sit with both kids while we read a book (DD in my lap and DS squished beside us).

It has developed a popping sound if I'm sitting off center. That's annoying if it happens trying to get them to sleep, but otherwise it's really quiet. We also didn't get the ottoman, and I haven't really wanted it because we have smaller rooms for the kids, and I'd rather have the floor space.
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I have a Shermag. It's also the wider model. I love it! And everyone who has ever sat in it has wanted to take it with them. Even non-parents. I also sprang extra for the nursing ottoman and I'm still glad I did.

One feature of my glider that I love (and my sister's Dutalier doesn't have) is that my glider locks in place when you stand up. There's a pressure plate in the seat that releases the lock on the gliding mechanism. So little hands can't push it. And little bodies can't unlock it.

I used to lock the ottoman, but one of my boys broke the locking mechanism on it. I need to just move it, but my kids are older so its not really as much if a hazard. I used to worry that they would stick a hand in the slats on the side and if the glider or ottoman moved, it would crush or sever a body part. I don't have many mommy paranoias but that was one of mine.

ETA: the glider can be locked in place while an adult is sitting in it too and the upright of the back is adjustable. It can be reclined and still glide (I think that's a universal feature though)
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
              X