Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dayquill while nursing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayquill while nursing

Minnie caught a cold last week, DH and I now have it... and she isn't letting me sleep. I ran into walgreens this morning and picked up dayquill to help me get through the day.... took it and then realized... whoops probably not a good idea with nursing.

I already took it, I know it may mess with my milk supply but too late to worry about that now. So do I pump and dump at work today?

I don't have sick days at work yet, so I am trying to plug through this cold, although its not horrible, being tired isn't helping.

From now on can I take a half dose with tylenol? Or just stick with tylenol? FYI flexibility is my motto, DD is nursing, eating food and I still supplement with about one bottle of formula a day, so I'm not a stickler when it comes to exclusively nursing. (I'd rather give her formula during the day then be up nursing her all night.... although with this stupid cold, and teething I haven't gotten more than two hours of consecutive sleep in over a week now.)

Okay sorry my question turned into a rant.....
    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Oh and I also took zicam.... any thoughts on that?
    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Just asked DH and he said the DayQuil is totally fine. If your milk supply is well-established, shouldn't experience any issues.

Comment

My guess is that dayquil isn't the worst thing ever. If you are really congested to the point of misery, then take it knowing that your supply will drop because of the sudafed in it. Although, now that it has fake sudafed, I'm not sure how it will impact supply. Because of the benadryl in it, Minnie might get sleepy (BONUS!).

But, I was the awesome mom who on those rare awful nights when C wouldn't sleep would have 1 glass of wine then nurse the kiddo so he would sleep. It was only once or twice, but it was great trick to have up my sleeve.
        Kris

Comment

Kellymom.com was my best go-to resource when I was nursing.
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

NyQuil has the diphenhydramine. DayQuil lacks it, which is why it's the non-drowsy one. The phenylephrine is less inclined to dry you out like the pseudoephedrine it replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
              NyQuil has the diphenhydramine. DayQuil lacks it, which is why it's the non-drowsy one. The phenylephrine is less inclined to dry you out like the pseudoephedrine it replaced.
              And this is why I need to verify my info first instead of relying on my increasingly lousy memory.

At any rate, you should be fine with Dayquil.
              Kris

Comment

Working...
              X