Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I'm going to lose it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to lose it...

DD will. not. leave the drapes alone. We can't take them down because then she tries to mess with the blinds - which are $$$. I don't want her pulling the 7' long rod down on herself. It's seriously like a game to her now. She'll sidle over towards the drapes, I pick her up, she either laughs or screams. I've tried time-outs, redirecting, firmly telling her no. Nada. (Time-outs worked for hair-pulling, thanks 13!)

Suggestions short of yelling or utilizing an air horn?
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Can you put one of those giant baby gate (I'm think the ones yet fold into a gigantic octagon, but can also be straightened out) around it until she has a little better impulse control?

Comment

Can you pin them out of her reach for now?
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
        Can you put one of those giant baby gate (I'm think the ones yet fold into a gigantic octagon, but can also be straightened out) around it until she has a little better impulse control?
        This.
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I vote air horn.

Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
            I had it up for awhile, but it blocked the dog's bed. And she can reach over it, and she had started shaking it because, well, why the heck not Can't tie them up because it exposes the blinds. Can't raise the blinds because then the neighbors can see it (the bottom of the window is only maybe 18" off the ground). Maybe when the tree is down, we can move the dog bed...
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Time out every time she messes with the drapes.
              Veronica

Comment

On either side of the drapes, secure large ropes with giant noisy bells.
                Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
                  This!
                  Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
                    How do you timeout a baby this young? I know A is 2.5 months older than D but I still can't imagine she's going to get a timeout in a month or two...Sorry, don't mean to hijack but I would love to know this technique.
                    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

When mine were that age it was just a repetitive "No." Followed by removing child from the temptation -- set them on the couch or in a playpen for a minute. May or may not get the point across and requires a lot of patience.
                      Veronica

Comment

I would take the drapes down and secure the blinds during the day for her safety.
                        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                          I would take the drapes down and secure the blinds during the day for her safety.
                          Yes this! I think she's too young for Time out IMO.
                          Tara
                          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

It isn't a time-out like you would do a toddler or preschooler. Think about how you get a baby to not bite mom when nursing. A firm no and remove them from the boob. Just removing her from the room with the drapes or from that part of the room.
                            Veronica

Comment

Time-outs haven't been working because part of her "game" is "I'm not touching them" where she'll inch closer and closer, arm extended, fingers waving as if she's touching fine silk. It would be cute if it wasn't so blasted infuriating.

There is a nice sequence to her time-outs, but short version - I'm the "time-out chair". She gets held on my lap facing out (and a wall) for 1min. I had great success with using this for hair pulling, but I guess my problem is when to stop her with this. Do I stop her when she's within 1 foot? Or is my warning/the undesirable behavior her going near the drapes? Gah! This is why we need a commune. Group parenting.
                              Jen

Comment

Working...
                              X