Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Overly Affectionate/Friendly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overly Affectionate/Friendly

A is OVERLY affectionate. She gives people hugs and kisses all. the. time. Like just now she gave her gymnastics coach one in the middle of class. Yesterday at the park she latched in to this little boy and was playing with him and his dad and the next thing I know she was hanging all over the dad. We've had to talk to her and R about what is proper for them kissing each other...

I don't know how to discuss this with her. I'm glad she's such a happy/friendly kid but she doesn't understand personal space.

Any suggestions??
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

S is right there too. She is fascinated with men and has no boundaries. If she gets the sense that the adult she is with is comfortable with a person, she is all over them. It is a bit scary.
    Kris

Comment

S is like this, too. She's seven and one of the huggiest people I've ever met. Our kindergarten teacher told me that most the kids she has had with Dr parents are very affectionate and seem to get tons of affection from their parents ( she gets it). This actually makes a lot of sense. It has leveled off to where she.can spot a hugger person and has her go- to people at school who are huggers, too.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

We do talk about personal fences and transitioned to only kissing family members.
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

DS is super affectionate, too. As a matter of fact, I got an email from his teacher a few weeks ago asking me to talk with him about how to appropriately show affection at school. In other words, quit kissing or trying to kiss his teacher and some of his favorite other 5th grade girls.

DS has ALWAYS been overly affectionate. He's been known to just climb into the lap of various friends and ask to cuddle with them. Yeah, dude isn't shy, either.

Comment

First, this is age-appropriate, so don't panic.

Second, I'd consider making "touching" rules--hugs at the END of gymnastics only. Hugs ONLY after asking if the person wants to be hugged, so forth.

Or you could try method: "CUT IT OUT!"

Comment

It really is age-appropriate even though we as adults have had the bejeezus scared out of us over it. I think it actually speaks to how well-adjusted she is, Cheri. You have taken good care of her and she doesn't realize that there are things to be afraid of when it comes to touch. That's a double-edged sword, isn't it. The kids at our elementary school aren't allowed to even touch each other/hug. They get in trouble ... even the little kindergarteners.

I keep reminding Zoe that it's ok to hug your family, your first-grade teacher (she's been in our family for years) and close friends ... and we talk about safe touch at different times when it comes up naturally. Last summer, she horrified me by telling our 70 year old neighbor that she loved him and was going to marry him some day. I started to freak out and he said "kris, It's ok. She's 6. She's just trying to say she likes me." A month later, she told me she thought he was her grandpa. She also thinks she's going to Marry Thomas, me, and Aidan ... and sleep in our bed until she's a grandma.

Parenting sure isn't for the faint of heart!

Kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                Last summer, she horrified me by telling our 70 year old neighbor that she loved him and was going to marry him some day.
                DS has announced that he's going to marry my sister. "I love aunt K and I'm going to marry her someday."

To which DD1 lovingly replied, "Dude, we're not in Kentucky. That won't fly here..."

Comment

Ha ha!
                  Veronica
                  Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Working...
                  X