Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Illness Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illness Help

So Saturday within an hour of each other the kids started vomitting. Adele had a high (103+) fever but R never did and as of yesterday morning R is fine so he is going to school today. A has been a different story, she had a high fever until about 4am this morning which we've been battling with ibuprofen and acetaminophen. She still has it this morning but it is much lower, I haven't taken her actual temp but I can tell by touching her that she is MUCH cooler.

Yesterday she ate a piece of toast with peanut butter on it and some cheerios, she has had nothing since, won't eat and says her stomach hurts but won't eat. If you ask her if her throat hurts she says yes but doesn't volunteer that so I'm skeptical. She was saying yesterday that her neck hurt.

Any suggestions, water and her medicines are the only thing I can get her to eat and she hasn't puked since Saturday early evening???
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

I wouldn't doubt her throat and neck hurting from vomiting. Do you think she's afraid to eat (thinking she'll puke)? Have you tried offering her something irresistible and a bit bland? Pancakes, bagel, etc? Maybe ask her what she would eat if she could have anything - she might be ok with a bit of something regular and some bland stuff. What about some kind of "dessert" like and oatmeal cookie?
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Poor dolly and mama. Sounds like she got the worst of the virus. Her throat could hurt from the vomiting as well as her neck. I would make her favorite treat and stop the meds for now to see what her temp does. Give the doc a call to see if they think you should bring her in. Sounds like she just may need lots of rest and time to recover.
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Honestly, it sounds a lot like what C had. The virus has GI sx as well as flu-like sx. Awesomesauce. Day 7 is when C's appetite started to come back. If she is hydrated, I wouldn't push food on her.
        Kris

Comment

Thanks gang - I gave her some strawberries because that is what she asked for, she hasn't puked since Saturday night so hopefully this is just the tail end. She is already freaking out that she'll miss her Valentine party on Wednesday so I need her to get better, fast!

Comment

Well she still won't eat and is now sleeping. R got set home from school, although I just took his temp and it didn't even register yellow on our termometer. She has a doc apt at 2:15.

Comment

Poor pumpkin .... I hope she feels better in time for her party on Wed!
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Well strep test was negative, flu test will be back in a few hours. The problem is that they say Tami-flu really only works when started in the first 48 hours and she puked about 46 hours ago so we won't get the prescription in time even I it's positive.

Thoughts? Experiences??

How long does this take to pass? They said less because she did get a flu shot...

Comment

Poor thing! Hope they feel better soon!

Wife to PGY3
                  Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

I don't think Tamiflu does anything to stop vomiting. I think it's for the flu, not stomach bugs.
                    I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

She actually hasn't vomitted since Saturday night - she threw up twice and that was it. Last night when she went to bed I thought she was getting better and at 4am-ish this morning she wasn't warm at all but today she seemed like she was really achy. She's snuggled on the couch with a heating pad and asked for cheese pizza for dinner so I'm hopeful she'll eat it...

Comment

H has seen a ton of what you're describing. Super, super high fevers, vomiting, no appetite, lethargy. It's horrible. What did your ped think? You're in the zone where I let my kids eat anything they want (milkshakes, Popsicles, etc) to try to keep them hydrated and get something back into them. I really hope she's better soon.
                        -Deb
                        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                          H has seen a ton of what you're describing. Super, super high fevers, vomiting, no appetite, lethargy. It's horrible. What did your ped think? You're in the zone where I let my kids eat anything they want (milkshakes, Popsicles, etc) to try to keep them hydrated and get something back into them. I really hope she's better soon.
                          Honestly I think the ped was stumped when the strep test came back negative. I think she fell back on the flu diagnosis but we're still waiting on the test. We have a sitter coming tonight and I'm going to tell her that A can eat whatever she wants as long as she eats because its been almost 48 hours since she threw up and she needs to get something in her...

Comment

So, how long did this last and when do I need to start being concerned??!

I posted elsewhere that my middle one (5yo) seems to have this. Wednesday he had vomiting and a slight touch of diarrhea, Thursday he ran a fever and was extremely lethargic (no vomiting, though, thank goodness), and this morning (Friday) he woke up complaining of tummy aches again. He hasn't eaten *anything* since Tuesday night although I've been pushing (and he's been keeping down) water and Pedialyte so he's at least staying hydrated.

Mama's starting to worry that this going on for so long.
                            ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                            -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

For C it was a full 7 days in which the only thing he ate was Popsicles. It really sucked.
                              Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X